+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 299

Thread: Main Clue

  1. #121
    animal painter's Avatar
    animal painter is offline Twelever Gold animal painter is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    402

    Default water bottles

    I noticed that the water bottles in the "small tubes" room
    have strawberry, carrot, grape, banana juices.
    fruit, vegetable, fruit, fruit...If we choose the "like" bottles,
    we get 134.

    This number may help in some way.

    AP

  2. #122
    Snickers is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze Snickers is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    145

    Default

    fwiw, those bottles were core to my flawed solution

    I took the first letter from each fruit/vegetable.

    Scgb
    Which I translated to south carolina georgia border
    The bowls and tubes beside those seemed to be the numbers 100 10 and 1, all facing different directions which added to 111. I kept the obvious 95 clue.

    Hindsight, the state clue was really weak, but i do think those bottles and fruits are critical to the solution.

  3. #123
    MayorSara is offline Twelever Silver MayorSara is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    388

    Default Excellent news!

    Quote Originally Posted by maskit View Post
    Nick, thanks for spotting this!

    The following has been posted to the Solutions page on the Wiki:
    • Number Found:
    • Found By/On: Nina G. / July 23
    • State: Georgia --The sheet music on the Piano has the notes G and A.
    • Highway: 95 -- The temperature of the thermometer
    • Mile: 5 -- A number 5 is etched into the sawdust on the floor in the sawdust covered room
    • Blog post:
    But I don't see a Mile 5 Rest Area on I-95 in Georgia. What number was found?
    This is exciting! I hope it's true, and I look forward to confirmation from the Twintig site, a photo, and a report about the hunt.

    One thing I like about it is that it seems to confirm the 12th Floor "schematic map" of the U.S. that I was seeing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MayorSara View Post
    The schematic map embodied by the alchemy machine seems to be pushing us eastward. If the "red light = stop = red herring" theory is correct, however, the solutions will not be found on the machine (because there is a red light on it). I don't think it means that the machine should be ignored, just that accurate S/H/M clues may not be found directly on the machine.

    That leaves us with the kitchen, bedroom, front hall and the area "west" of the machine. Although I haven't done much work with it yet, I think the kitchen area above the "tears into clouds" jar may represent Georgia in the schematic map.

    Once you start looking, of course, you can rationalize a lot clues to justify the theory of the day.

    1) The erroneous "mi" on the Periodic Table could be a roman numeral: 1001. My immediate association with 1001 is "Arabian Nights". This could be "Hint Baa Oats" which made me think of "Mares eat oats and does eat oats, and little lambs eat ivy...." And IV = 4. Georgia was the 4th state.

    2) Long ago, I felt the pictures in the front hall could be interpreted as:

    Meteor + Helium + Outer Space =
    Clue Our Home Empire State

    Living near the NY border as I do, I assumed this referred to New York. Imagine my surprise this morning to find on the Internet that Georgia is known not only as the Peach State, but also as "The Empire State of the South."

    3) Even newer than my crackpot theory about the schematic map is the crackpot theory about text clues on the floors where "stolen items" were found referring back to solutions for the floor from which the item was taken....

    ...it was heavy, a knotty piece of rough wood - and brought it to the old lady. =
    Interstate Georgia / block at top of hot vault / howdy doody / a windy hue + h

    Half-baked Interpretations:

    Something to do with the keystone in the brick arch of the opening in the forge? There are 21 bricks, so the 11th would be the keystone, but there's no Interstate 11 in Georgia. There is a rest area (actually a Welcome Center) at mile 111 on I-95 in Savannah....

    I assumed "howdy doody" is just a fancy way to say "hello," and might be a hint about a Welcome Center. But it could mean "dummy" or "puppet," or something else.

    The cool part: If I'm thinking about it correctly, "a windy hue" is very intriguing. My answer for this riddle would be "blew = blue". The northern end of Georgia is the beginning of the Blue Ridge mountains. Another way of saying "Blue Ridge" is "blue wale"! (Aha! That leftover "+ h" in the anagram might even fit with the erring/herring wale/whale wordplay!) Are the Blue Ridge mountains one of the layers to the "Bigger than a red erring" Cluesday solution? [Note: Sherman's army used "corduroy roads" - made of logs - on their march across Georgia.]

    4) Remember the old Cluesday clue that included an incoherent page from a scholarly journal? My eye was drawn to the nonsense phrase near the beginning:

    Sravanabela golan monolith =
    moon a savannah gorilla belt

    At the time, I thought each of these words needed a synonym in order to get to a solution. But maybe the word "Savannah" is correct, and the GA in gorilla is for Georgia....

    I had thought that I-95 could be the highway solution for Floor 12 because of the schematic map on Floor 8. But I thought it would be the section of I-95 in NJ. If the NJ clues are red herrings (because of the red light on the alchemy machine) maybe we need to look at other states that include I-95. Georgia would be one candidate. [Note: Someone sent me a message last night with different evidence for I-95, but I'm not at liberty to divulge that info.]
    Maybe the Savannah clues I was seeing are like the Delaware and Teaneck clues found elsewhere: The word puzzles will sometimes tell you the end point of a highway, but won't hint about the rest stop itself.

    Ironically, I had stopped working on the 12th Floor and started focusing on the 4th Floor because I thought the Vermont possibility had not been fully explored. Here is something I found while searching for Vermont clues that may support the Georgia solution:

    Lifeguard station =
    dig at saltine four

    I had previously run "lifeguard chair" and came up with a clue that I thought might be a Utah hint. But this "lifeguard station" clue is more ingenious, and it uses the saltine clue from the text on Floor 2 (right next to the metronome from Floor 4!) that Gus indicates is central to Dodge's solution. If you turn "saltine" into a molecular formula, you can make:

    NaCl (for salt) I (Iodine) and Ne (Neon).
    Molecular weights:
    Na = 11
    Cl = 17
    I = 53
    Ne = 10
    Total = 91

    So "dig at saltine four" could mean "dig at 91 + 4" = I-95. And Georgia was the fourth state, so we may be getting state and mile in the same clue. I was trying to make this fit Interstate 91 in Vermont, but couldn't get it to make sense. It finally falls into place once you realize you're looking at Georgia.

    If proven correct, a lot of the Georgia evidence may contradict the idea that red lights represent red herrings. Several of the Georgia clues come from the room with red lights. Maybe the lights have to be directly on a thing in an illustration to rule out clues attached to it? Or maybe the whole theory is mistaken.

    Congratulations to the finder! I hope he/she fills us in soon with all the details. Now I'm going to go back and look at that schematic map on Floor 12....

  4. #124
    cosmicjay is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze cosmicjay is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greenbelt, MD
    Posts
    134

    Default Piano notes

    I suppose it is possible that a number was found where the solution states, but the reasons are clearly wrong. The notes on the piano could be interpreted as we usually have, DE, or maybe as GF, but certainly not GA. As has been noted, there is no rest stop at mile 5.

    The problem may be that someone has been using the "Solutions" page as a place to put their speculations, rather than information about the actual finding. There were also entries on the Ninth floor "State:" about the Idaho motto, and the Twelfth floor "State:" about the "Mi" being circled. The parts of the Fourth floor "solution" about the state and the highway were put there days before the MM.

  5. #125
    MayorSara is offline Twelever Silver MayorSara is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicjay View Post
    I suppose it is possible that a number was found where the solution states, but the reasons are clearly wrong. The notes on the piano could be interpreted as we usually have, DE, or maybe as GF, but certainly not GA. As has been noted, there is no rest stop at mile 5.

    The problem may be that someone has been using the "Solutions" page as a place to put their speculations, rather than information about the actual finding. There were also entries on the Ninth floor "State:" about the Idaho motto, and the Twelfth floor "State:" about the "Mi" being circled. The parts of the Fourth floor "solution" about the state and the highway were put there days before the MM.
    Oh, this makes some sense. I cleaned up one of the wikis once, moving comments from one section to another when people had been sloppy about entering new info. It should be possible to go back in the editing history to find out who posted the Georgia info in the "solution" category. Maybe someone could e-mail and gently inquire about some clarification? Unless they were unregistered on the wiki site.

    So maybe there's still a chance for a Vermont solution! (Although the schematic map seems SO obvious that it almost makes that an unlikely outcome....)

  6. #126
    MayorSara is offline Twelever Silver MayorSara is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snickers View Post
    I believe color is the key theme for this floor, specifically, colors of the rainbow. This floor is occupied by Siegfried and Montecore. Someone on this board sharply pointed out that Montecore was the name of the tiger that mauled Roy of Siegfried and Roy. Roy is an implied missing element here. I believe that the implied Roy is to suggest the mnemonic device for the colors of the rainbow, ROY G BIV.
    ....

    The only quirk to this is that there are 7 colors on the rainbow, and only 6 of those colors are on this floor. I would guess that indigo and violet would be hard to distinguish. What is interesting too is that there are at least 3 examples of things that are in groups of 7, and one member of the group is an oddball.
    1. 7 Red lights. 1 is in the top room with the small tubes
    2. 7 Water bottles. 1 is much bigger than the rest
    3. 7 carrots. 1 is chopped up (into 7 pieces).

    So, that's all I got. It is interesting that the lobby area of this floor has each color. Haven't been able to piece it together yet, but I hope this helps someone.
    Nice job on the color solution! To you and to erexere.

    I thought Savannah was a strong solution for this floor, too. I'm glad you checked it, and sorry your hunt wasn't fruitful. A number of the things you have laid out here, though, could be strongly in favor of the other Welcome Center on I-95, at mile 1 in Kingsland (if the Wiki person hasn't already found the treasure there).

    "Roy" means "King" in French. Erexere points out that "Roy G Biv = DEF G ABC" using Newton's system. And the Roman numeral IV = four. So a hybrid decoding of Roy G. Biv, drawing on all three systems, gives us "King" "GA" and "4". Could be a strong hint for Kingsland, GA (the fourth state).

    I believe the umbrellas are important clews/cues on this floor. The umbrella on the windowsill is a pretty clear shade of indigo, if that was the color you felt was missing to complete the spectrum. "Dig in O" would be a pretty good indication of a dig site and hole at the same time. The cabbage behind the vase, on the kitchen table counter next to the donut, may also be an "Indigo = dig in O" clue. If it's one of my beloved BB clues, cabbage could be "Ace, GA," which could be Mile 1 in Ga.

    I don't know if this matters, but Erexere's list of green/purple items on this floor did not mention the purple umbrella stand next to the green galoshes. (If those are the green galoshes - anti-gravity boots - from Floor 9, they are probably significant for this floor's solution or for Floor 9. Or both.) Hey, just noticed:

    Green galoshes + anti-gravity boots =
    State Georgia / Roy G Biv / Halts Neons - or -
    State Georgia / Roy G Biv / Hats Nelson
    State Georgia / Roy G Biv / Slant Shone
    Not sure about the correct input for that last part, but you could play around with it before making the road trip, to see if it provides a stronger solution for the dig site. (Maybe take the word "state" out of the first part and add it back in to make the third section of the solution "One A Lasts Tenths" or some variation on that combination.)

    It may be just a coincidence, but I noticed as I examined Vermont possibilities for this floor that the last rest stop on I-89 in Vermont is called Georgia. It is located at Mile 111. Based on the schematic map, mile 111 on I-89 would be located about where the tubes go out the window (to Canada). So the clues you saw in that room for a mile 111 solution could have been a carefully constructed set of red herrings that actually directed attention to Georgia - but the wrong Georgia. The red lights are still (sorta) our friends.

    Of course, if someone searches the GA/I-95/mile 1 site and doesn't find anything, I will hop in the car and head up I-89 asap!

  7. #127
    cosmicjay is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze cosmicjay is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greenbelt, MD
    Posts
    134

    Default A good solve

    I have so much confidence in my best solution that I am going to post my next best solve, that I think is still pretty good, in case someone else wants to try. Unfortunately I won't be able to get close to either one for a couple weeks at least.

    Here is my second best:

    State: SC
    Highway: I95
    MM: 5

    Reasoning:
    The state is from 2 clues primarily: First, the carrot slices in the kitchen make the Braille symbols for "Number follows" and "H", which becomes "8" because of the Number follows. SC is the eighth state. Secondly, the water bottles in the tube room, Strawberry, Carrot, Grape, Banana; as has been mentioned here already, the initials SCGB can be taken as "South Carolina Georgia Border".

    The Highway is the ever-popular 95 from the thermometer. The mile is the 5 from the wood chips.

    Additional supporting clues are:
    "Moon River" associated with Savannah, Georgia nearby. The song comes from "the room behind" Gus as he crawls through the tube. I took that as coming from the state behind as you enter SC.

    The state flag of SC has a crescent moon, suggesting a "Total Eclipse".

    The rest stop at Hardeeville is a Welcome Center. As I mentioned, Siegfried is one of the few to say "Welcome" to Dodge and Gus.

    From the website clues, Siegfried says "It isn't supposed to be easy", as in, it is supposed to be Hard --> Hardeeville.

    If you use this, good luck to you. I think my other solve is better, but this is a pretty good one. Give me a shout out if you find it!

  8. #128
    MayorSara is offline Twelever Silver MayorSara is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    388

    Default Me precious

    Quote Originally Posted by MayorSara View Post
    "Roy" means "King" in French. Erexere points out that "Roy G Biv = DEF G ABC" using Newton's system. And the Roman numeral IV = four. So a hybrid decoding of Roy G. Biv, drawing on all three systems, gives us "King" "GA" and "4". Could be a strong hint for Kingsland, GA (the fourth state).

    I believe the umbrellas are important clews/cues on this floor. The umbrella on the windowsill is a pretty clear shade of indigo, if that was the color you felt was missing to complete the spectrum. "Dig in O" would be a pretty good indication of a dig site and hole at the same time. The cabbage behind the vase, on the kitchen table counter next to the donut, may also be an "Indigo = dig in O" clue. If it's one of my beloved BB clues, cabbage could be "Ace, GA," which could be Mile 1 in Ga.

    I don't know if this matters, but Erexere's list of green/purple items on this floor did not mention the purple umbrella stand next to the green galoshes. (If those are the green galoshes - anti-gravity boots - from Floor 9, they are probably significant for this floor's solution or for Floor 9. Or both.) Hey, just noticed:

    Green galoshes + anti-gravity boots =
    State Georgia / Roy G Biv / Halts Neons - or -
    State Georgia / Roy G Biv / Hats Nelson
    State Georgia / Roy G Biv / Slant Shone
    Not sure about the correct input for that last part, but you could play around with it before making the road trip, to see if it provides a stronger solution for the dig site. (Maybe take the word "state" out of the first part and add it back in to make the third section of the solution "One A Lasts Tenths" or some variation on that combination.)
    As I was about to move on from the list of Georgia rest areas, I noticed that there is a stop called "Ringgold" on I-75 near the Tennessee border. Although it's not in Mile 1, it is the first stop on that highway inside Georgia. I mention it because of the strong allusions on this floor to rings, The Lord of the Rings and Wagner's operas known as The Ring Cycle. In both stories, a magical ring is the big prize.

    This site would also be a better fit for the "Blue Ridge" = "bigger than a Red Wale" riddle, as the Blue Ridge mountains start in northern Georgia.

    This solution relies on Klobberduck's rifle providing the link from Floor 4 to Floor 10, and the highway solution duplicating the clues on the upper floor. Although perhaps the sevens listed by Snickers in an earlier post could be combined somehow with the big 5 to make 75. (And those 7 + 1 combinations obviously also double as alphanumeric clues for GA: G = 7 and A = 1.)

    The Ringgold stop might be worth a look if anyone is nearby.
    http://www.southeastroads.com/i-075e_ga.html

  9. #129
    Snickers is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze Snickers is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicjay View Post
    I have so much confidence in my best solution that I am going to post my next best solve, that I think is still pretty good, in case someone else wants to try. Unfortunately I won't be able to get close to either one for a couple weeks at least.

    Here is my second best:

    State: SC
    Highway: I95
    MM: 5

    Reasoning:
    The state is from 2 clues primarily: First, the carrot slices in the kitchen make the Braille symbols for "Number follows" and "H", which becomes "8" because of the Number follows. SC is the eighth state. Secondly, the water bottles in the tube room, Strawberry, Carrot, Grape, Banana; as has been mentioned here already, the initials SCGB can be taken as "South Carolina Georgia Border".

    The Highway is the ever-popular 95 from the thermometer. The mile is the 5 from the wood chips.

    Additional supporting clues are:
    "Moon River" associated with Savannah, Georgia nearby. The song comes from "the room behind" Gus as he crawls through the tube. I took that as coming from the state behind as you enter SC.

    The state flag of SC has a crescent moon, suggesting a "Total Eclipse".

    The rest stop at Hardeeville is a Welcome Center. As I mentioned, Siegfried is one of the few to say "Welcome" to Dodge and Gus.

    From the website clues, Siegfried says "It isn't supposed to be easy", as in, it is supposed to be Hard --> Hardeeville.

    If you use this, good luck to you. I think my other solve is better, but this is a pretty good one. Give me a shout out if you find it!
    I searched that rest area this weekend as well. Someone else had posted this as a fruitless search also. Nada.

  10. #130
    MayorSara is offline Twelever Silver MayorSara is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    388

    Default More Georgia hints from 7/20 Cluesday post

    Quote Originally Posted by MayorSara View Post
    As I was about to move on from the list of Georgia rest areas, I noticed that there is a stop called "Ringgold" on I-75 near the Tennessee border.... This solution relies on Klobberduck's rifle providing the link from Floor 4 to Floor 10, and the highway solution duplicating the clues on the upper floor. Although perhaps the sevens listed by Snickers in an earlier post could be combined somehow with the big 5 to make 75. (And those 7 + 1 combinations obviously also double as alphanumeric clues for GA: G = 7 and A = 1.)

    The Ringgold stop might be worth a look if anyone is nearby.
    Georgia @ SouthEastRoads - Interstate 75 Northbound - Atlanta to Tennessee

    I just posted the following as a comment at the Twintig website, but want to add it to the Georgia theories for floor 4 (although I'm still finding lots of Vermont hints). My comment builds on an observation by Tinker that the mustard stain on the bib looks like the state of South Carolina, and builds on other hints in the text of Twintig's post.

    Tinker, I like your observation about the mustard stain shaped like S.C. In the written part of the post, Twintig uses the phrase "dirty and underfoot". If these are hints about the hot dog character's foot being "under" the stain, I would interpret them as another nudge toward Georgia, which is under S.C.

    Another name for a hot dog is "Wiener," named after the city of Wien, Austria, known in English as "Vienna". There is a rest area at Vienna, Georgia (I-75, mile 85). When I looked on the 4th Floor to see if I could find an 85 to justify this theory, I noticed that there is a sort of backward-S shape in the "tangle of tubes". The backward S could be seen as an 8 when combined with other shapes. It is right next to a T-shape tube (lying flat on the floor) and the 5 in the cedar chips. 8 - T - 5. I hope someone is close enough to take a look!
    In the comments under Twintigs post, someone else noted that the hot dog character on the bib has eleven fingers. If you are at all open to anagrams, this could be "Elves Green Fin". Dodge asks whether elves live on the 4th floor, and I would guess that "fin" would represent "infinity" and be related back to the green wheels in the barbell room. Of course, the input for an anagram might also be "Eleven flaming fingers" (look at the bib picture to see what I mean) and then you could make the word "Vienna" and take things from there.

    I should note, though, that I haven't seen rest areas named in clues. Lots of the towns named on the "interstaterestarea" site as rest area locations are not accurate, so the TCWAF authors may have decided to stay away from that confusion.

    Of course, the anagram input could be "eleven + mustard on foot" and that brings you back to Vermont....

    Hmm. Then again, "Rifle + Orange Tangle of Tubes" could be "Georgia Offbeats Tunneller" (whatever that might mean) or other variations.

    The colors of the bib might also be significant: lavender with pale green piping around the edge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts