+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bubinga

12pm is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Sapphire
    12pm will become famous soon enough

Default bubinga

A sore thumb.

Africa has no place in a timeless fairy tale.

As for me, I'll be trying to make a dovetail for the next couple of months.

Aloha, Michael

I like your new book, Paul

ViolentPie is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper ViolentPie is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Paddock = Padauk?

In doing some research on this Bubinga wood, I found out a lot about it (it's really pretty!) http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Mer...y_Code=Bubinga but I can't find anything about a wood called "Paddock." On the same website listed above, you can see there's an african wood called "padauk" that comes from the same area as bubinga.

As far as I can tell, the only thing called "paddock" would be the enclosed place for keeping animals.

Sapphire

Default dovetail wheels

It's probably nothing, but it keeps nagging at me.

A D D O C K P
    B U B I N G A
    A B U B I N G
    S S R E X L E
    E X L E S S R
    D D O C K P A
    O C K P A D D
    N G A B U B I
    B I N G A B U
    R E X L E S S

B I N G A B U
    L E S S R E X
    A B U B I N G
    C K P A D D O
    K P A D D O C
    S R E X L E S
    R E X L E S S
    A D D O C K P

O C K P A D D
    R E X L E S S
    A D D O C K P
    N G A B U B I
    G A B U B I N
    E S S R E X L
    G A B U B I N
    R E X L E S S
    E X L E S S R
    E S S R E X L
    N G A B U B I

Nica is offline Junior Twelever +1 Silver Nica is on a distinguished road

12pm,

That's interesting but how did you decide with words and letters went in which order?

Sapphire

I used three code wheels, each with 7 letters, but with no fixed order of wheels (WW2 Enigma code-style). For wheel text, I used the two woods mentioned in the chapter, PADDOCK and BUBINGA, and also REXLESS because it's such an unusual 7-letter string with high freq letters.

After running many, many permutations, I noticed that spelling out colors often created what looked suspiciously like plaintext in an offset position.

I've also tried many other 7 letter wheel texts, most notably KASLURP, because it has reverse beginning and ending letters from PADDOCK, and also stands out as a very forced letter string to be included in the story.

Whether this is pure accident or not is one thing, but working with this method is another. Makes sense to me that there would be three "rings", one for earth, sun, and moon, and that their sequencing would reveal plain text in accordance with the proper "alignments" or syzgies.

Any series of images in the book that imply a double set of coordinates could be used to direct which position each disc (or should I say "plate," as in "Ana fixed him a plate"? or even "tectonic plate"?) would occupy. As in "Earth plate 6, Sun plate 3, Sun plate 4, Moon plate 6." or as in "Red2,Red3,Green1,Blue2." These latter two series are just examples.

As I said, it's probably nothing, but it's been very useful to me as an exercise in imagining how plaintext messages could easily be encoded using a 3-wheel code with as few as three word keys. You'll note that in the story Ana fixes a plate for Zac while one of Yorah's knotholes looks on. This seems like an indicator to me, as do the "peach rings" as they've been called elsewhere in this forum, and the "tectonic plates" from the BOS.

Vixen13 is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper Vixen13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by 12pm View Post
    I've also tried many other 7 letter wheel texts, most notably KASLURP, because it has reverse beginning and ending letters from PADDOCK, and also stands out as a very forced letter string to be included in the story.

Any series of images in the book that imply a double set of coordinates could be used to direct which position each disc (or should I say "plate," as in "Ana fixed him a plate"? or even "tectonic plate"?) would occupy. As in "Earth plate 6, Sun plate 3, Sun plate 4, Moon plate 6." or as in "Red2,Red3,Green1,Blue2." These latter two series are just examples.
    I think you are onto something here...

K= 11th position from the begining of the alphabet
    P= 11th position from the end of the alphabet

PaddocK ------- KaslurP

there is your double "11"

shecrab is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Emerald
    shecrab will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by 12pm View Post
    IAny series of images in the book that imply a double set of coordinates could be used to direct which position each disc (or should I say "plate," as in "Ana fixed him a plate"? or even "tectonic plate"?) would occupy. As in "Earth plate 6, Sun plate 3, Sun plate 4, Moon plate 6." or as in "Red2,Red3,Green1,Blue2." These latter two series are just examples.
    What about the border with the red and green jewels?
    Visit my web site: http://christinkeck.webs.com
    CK or as they say in Spain, "Yes, What?"

shecrab is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Emerald
    shecrab will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by ViolentPie View Post
    In doing some research on this Bubinga wood, I found out a lot about it (it's really pretty!) http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Mer...y_Code=Bubinga but I can't find anything about a wood called "Paddock." On the same website listed above, you can see there's an african wood called "padauk" that comes from the same area as bubinga.

As far as I can tell, the only thing called "paddock" would be the enclosed place for keeping animals.

http://www.paddockwood.com/
    Visit my web site: http://christinkeck.webs.com
    CK or as they say in Spain, "Yes, What?"

+ Reply to Thread