+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Star Code

  1. #11
    stvwz's Avatar
    stvwz is offline Master Twelever TwelevePlus
    Ruby
    stvwz is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,195

    Default

    Sorry. Kind of like your rule "b". Two star rays of the same color pointing at the same letter. Even though there is some subjectivity, it is a lot less than when using only one star ray.

    Quote Originally Posted by JBadeo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stvwz View Post
    Kelly

    I looked at the single rays but couldnt find much

    the triangulation formed from two rays eliminates much of the "noise" caused by such a small angle error.


    the thing that makes me wonder is why some dont point at all or are in weird locations.

    also the reflection clues makes me think we are supposed to reverse some of these.

    s

    Quote Originally Posted by kbellis View Post

    Hi Steve,

    I've been studying these stars also... I'm finding it often to be somewhat subjective (a swing and a miss) as to whether or not a star's ray strikes or misses a letter since we're trying to project a line, and often it's a fuzzy line that's only about 8mm long, over a distance that's 30 times greater. In the instance of the pages 44-45, we're projecting it over a seam and a distance 50 times the length of the pointer. Yet still it seems that you're onto something worth studying further... which I will go back and try one more time after posting this note.

    There are also some rules that may apply... or at least that's my present theory; learning the rules that the brothers have used in building this puzzle will be important.

    Star Rule Number One: Hit or Miss
    • a. If a single ray strikes any part of a letter, then that letter is noted and the color of the striking ray.
    • b. If any other ray of the same color strikes that same letter again, it's not to be counted as a separate occurrence - that letter is only to be counted once.
    • c. Multiple colored rays each striking the same letter once may count the letter, but only once.
    • d. Once a ray has struck a letter, even just a glancing touch, that ray stops and doesn't penetrate onto another letter (some rays penetrate entire lines of text).
    • e. The question remains as to what is the width of the thing delineating the ray - a .3mm lead, a sharpened No. 2 pencil or a blunt crayola?
    Does this rule make any sense or should it be revised?

    Kelly
    For someone a little more dense (me!) would you be able to expose your method and explain further what you mean by "the triangulation formed from two rays?

  2. #12
    astreeturover's Avatar
    astreeturover is offline !!! TwelevePlus
    Benitoite
    astreeturover is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    in MD
    Posts
    17,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kbellis View Post

    Star Rule Number One: Hit or Miss
    • a. If a single ray strikes any part of a letter, then that letter is noted and the color of the striking ray.
    • b. If any other ray of the same color strikes that same letter again, it's not to be counted as a separate occurrence - that letter is only to be counted once.
    • c. Multiple colored rays each striking the same letter once may count the letter, but only once.
    • d. Once a ray has struck a letter, even just a glancing touch, that ray stops and doesn't penetrate onto another letter (some rays penetrate entire lines of text).
    • e. The question remains as to what is the width of the thing delineating the ray - a .3mm lead, a sharpened No. 2 pencil or a blunt crayola?
    Does this rule make any sense or should it be revised?

    Kelly
    Very nice list, Kelly.

    The triangulation makes sense to me, since a single ray, at long distance is too ambiguous - just not enough distance between the center of the star and a tip to get a definite line.

    I have also worked with another idea, which is to use the "direct points", close range frame letters where the ray does not penetrate the picture.

    For example, NEARS on pp. 34 / 35 (or, SNARE if the star penetration into the S is taken as the first - or last ? - letter).

    And, TREK is given on p. 32 (thus, the STAR TREK).

    But, for example, on p. 40, the PE is given and looks to be confirmed by the wheat (?) pointing to the 16,5 (alpha-numeric) on the grid. So, that I take more seriously.

    Rob
    Free is the best deal!

    "The Scarlet Cloud Approaches"
    "Time is of ten a one-way street"
    ..........Go 5 X 5..........

  3. #13
    Agrisin is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper Agrisin is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Have there been any significant advancements in deciphering the star code? I believe I have found something not discussed here that may be a lead into cracking it.

  4. #14
    stvwz's Avatar
    stvwz is offline Master Twelever TwelevePlus
    Ruby
    stvwz is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agrisin View Post
    Have there been any significant advancements in deciphering the star code? I believe I have found something not discussed here that may be a lead into cracking it.
    Agrisin, I havent looked at this hunt in years. Would be interested in what you have found that may help in understanding this star code.

    Thanks

  5. #15
    Agrisin is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper Agrisin is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Yeah, I'm sure this hunt is in the archives for many folks, but my friend and I just picked it up last month and we have made some pretty good headway into it.

    I believe the key to figuring out the star code lies in the magic square on the old lady image on page 40. If you look at the numbers in order, they appear to represent the colors of the star points:
    1 = blue
    2 = pink
    3 = orange
    4 = yellow
    5 = red

    0 and 6 are green, which appear to be "bookends" that are not really important, since there are only 5 different colors used on the stars throughout the book.

    Now this seems pretty indicative, but here's the real kicker - if you "connect the dots" or draw a line from the center of the box starting with with 1 then go to 2, 3, 4, 5, and back to 1 again, it draws out a very nice five-pointed star.

    This to me is a confirmer that the colors of the star points are supposed to represent the number of the same color from the magic square.

    Now, initially we thought anything that goes from 1-5 would represent a polybius 5x5 cipher (aka A Treasure's Trove). But we can't make any useful words using this method so far.

  6. #16
    astreeturover's Avatar
    astreeturover is offline !!! TwelevePlus
    Benitoite
    astreeturover is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    in MD
    Posts
    17,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by View Post

    And, TREK is given on p. 32 (thus, the STAR TREK).
    In this case of star code, START (at) REK is a possible interpretation. The p. 32, with the Indian, shows the code by direct points.

    The following is NOT it, but illustration

    Wreck of the Grand Design on Long Ledge, Mount Desert Island
    Free is the best deal!

    "The Scarlet Cloud Approaches"
    "Time is of ten a one-way street"
    ..........Go 5 X 5..........

  7. #17
    stvwz's Avatar
    stvwz is offline Master Twelever TwelevePlus
    Ruby
    stvwz is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,195

    Default

    Interesting concept and seems to make sense. I listed out all the letters and can make some words, but there seems to be a couple of errors. I double checked and can't seem to find better letter matches.

    I have

    Blue= NUMBERS
    Pink= OPE
    Orange= HIDFEN
    Yellow= TREUSRE
    Red= RIDLDE

    The best I can make that makes any sense is Numbers Open Hidden Treasure Riddle

    Quote Originally Posted by Agrisin View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure this hunt is in the archives for many folks, but my friend and I just picked it up last month and we have made some pretty good headway into it.

    I believe the key to figuring out the star code lies in the magic square on the old lady image on page 40. If you look at the numbers in order, they appear to represent the colors of the star points:
    1 = blue
    2 = pink
    3 = orange
    4 = yellow
    5 = red

    0 and 6 are green, which appear to be "bookends" that are not really important, since there are only 5 different colors used on the stars throughout the book.

    Now this seems pretty indicative, but here's the real kicker - if you "connect the dots" or draw a line from the center of the box starting with with 1 then go to 2, 3, 4, 5, and back to 1 again, it draws out a very nice five-pointed star.

    This to me is a confirmer that the colors of the star points are supposed to represent the number of the same color from the magic square.

    Now, initially we thought anything that goes from 1-5 would represent a polybius 5x5 cipher (aka A Treasure's Trove). But we can't make any useful words using this method so far.

  8. #18
    Agrisin is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper Agrisin is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I think you lost me there. Where did you get the letters from for each color?

  9. #19
    astreeturover's Avatar
    astreeturover is offline !!! TwelevePlus
    Benitoite
    astreeturover is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    in MD
    Posts
    17,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agrisin View Post
    Now, initially we thought anything that goes from 1-5 would represent a polybius 5x5 cipher (aka A Treasure's Trove). But we can't make any useful words using this method so far.
    Definitley polybius frame code on p. 47. (Possibly p. 19, as well, but haven't got that yet).

    Nothing popping out on the star rays as polybius, but looks like a good possibility. Will recheck.
    Free is the best deal!

    "The Scarlet Cloud Approaches"
    "Time is of ten a one-way street"
    ..........Go 5 X 5..........

  10. #20
    astreeturover's Avatar
    astreeturover is offline !!! TwelevePlus
    Benitoite
    astreeturover is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    in MD
    Posts
    17,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stvwz View Post
    Relooked at the stars again. Got the same thing

    Blue - NUMBERS
    Yellow - TREUSRE (treasure?)
    Orange - HIDFEN (hidden?)(find the?)
    Red - RIDDLE
    Pink - OPE (open?)

    ...Anyone else see anything I missed?

    s
    Which the letters missing, the of separate colors ?
    Free is the best deal!

    "The Scarlet Cloud Approaches"
    "Time is of ten a one-way street"
    ..........Go 5 X 5..........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts