+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 157 FirstFirst ... 7 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 107 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 1570

Thread: On the hunt for a $2 million treasure

  1. #561
    astreeturover's Avatar
    astreeturover is offline !!! TwelevePlus
    Benitoite
    astreeturover is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    in MD
    Posts
    17,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Genetic Blend View Post
    Thanks Ocean Archer, but the first letter is definitely not a U. It is done in some kind of script, so it is either an O or a D. Maybe it stands for Department. Even so, why would it be important to list things like the Bureau of Land Management, the National Parks Service, or Tribal lands? Makes no sense to me...
    It is an "O" on the map, but possibly a typo for "U", intentional or unintentional. Or, the font is extremely mis-leading.

    There are at others versions of the map, with 2 of the versions (I think) mis-spelling "highlighted". Here's a clear version showing the OSFS

    http://www.benchmarkmaps.com/wp-cont...easure_Map.png

    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

    He has said at various times (and I believe without wiggle room) that the treasure is hidden in the area defined by that map (see the blurb on the map, for example).

    From his podcast on Sep 14

    http://www.santafe.com/thevoice/podc...d-leon-gaspard

    "More than 8 miles north of Santa Fe, south of Canada"

    =========

    Doc,

    While you're finding the interconnectinos and other info from the postmarks, check out some of the pictures. Front cover, a picture with caption at foot level ... "FeeT Clack". Forrest loves to have fun. Lik the acrostic on the map, where he uses the "O" instead of "U"

    BUNT



    astree
    Free is the best deal!

    "The Scarlet Cloud Approaches"
    "Time is of ten a one-way street"
    ..........Go 5 X 5..........

  2. #562
    Eliza is offline Junior Twelever +1 Silver Eliza is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Erexere, I'm not sure what the exact quote might be. I haven't spent a lot of time looking at the blogs. From what I gathered, the treasure is hidden somewhere on the map that's posted at the dalneitzel.com web site. Click on 'Most important info' on the right side, then 'The Map' to see a larger version of it.

    Genetic Blend, I haven't looked at that map very much. If it's like some of this other stuff, it's probably some sort of metapuzzle if the meaning isn't obvious at first glance

    I don't think the book is going to be any gigantic help in solving the poem either; I just like tackling the puzzles.

    Doc
    Right again, Doc

    The map provides a quick and dirty way to identify the place where the treasure was hidden. Obviously without sufficient resolution to actually find it, but precise enough to make one very confident about the general location.

    Put on your logic hat.

    The curved lines of magnetic deviation are there as visual distractors; what we need are Cartesian coordinates. Step back and look at the overall layout of the map, including the text. If you wanted to have an intuitive way to identify exactly one vertical line and one horizontal line, what might make sense?

    Consider using a horizontal line which precisely bisects the poem on the left, and a vertical line that precisely bisects the title at the top. The title contains 19 letters, and the middle one is an O. The "typo" recently discussed is a very gentle confirmer.

    The two lines intersect precisely at Hanging Lake.

  3. #563
    Doc
    Doc is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Sapphire
    Doc is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,514

    Default

    Eliza,

    That's very cool. I pulled up the map at dal's web site. What is the 'typo'?

    If the two lines intersect precisely--both of which were related to the poem: its title and body--that sounds like a clue to me.

    If the lines intersect at 'Hanging Lake', do you think that's the hiding spot or just a hint?

    Something like 'Hanging' lake - 'Lynching' lake - 'Daviding' lake (David Lynch) - 'Dividing lake' -

    Intersection of two lines at 'Hanging Lake' = TWO LINES DIVIDING LAKE.

    Wow.

    If you understood the Natural Bridge walkthrough, I think it's time I rework Stage II, get it right in my head, and get to posting.

    Astree, thanks. I LOVE the 21 pauses (commas) and nine 2-lines. I've not looked at the pictures very much as yet--thanks for pointing out the 'Photo by Lynch' caption.

  4. #564
    Eliza is offline Junior Twelever +1 Silver Eliza is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Eliza,

    That's very cool. I pulled up the map at dal's web site. What is the 'typo'?

    If the two lines intersect precisely--both of which were related to the poem: its title and body--that sounds like a clue to me.

    If the lines intersect at 'Hanging Lake', do you think that's the hiding spot or just a hint?

    Something like 'Hanging' lake - 'Lynching' lake - 'Daviding' lake (David Lynch) - 'Dividing lake' -

    Intersection of two lines at 'Hanging Lake' = TWO LINES DIVIDING LAKE.

    Wow.

    If you understood the Natural Bridge walkthrough, I think it's time I rework Stage II, get it right in my head, and get to posting.

    Astree, thanks. I LOVE the 21 pauses (commas) and nine 2-lines. I've not looked at the pictures very much as yet--thanks for pointing out the 'Photo by Lynch' caption.
    Thanks Doc.

    I was referring to the typo astree mentioned above. In the list of acronyms on the right, OSFS should read USFS (United States Forest Service).

    I think that Hanging Lake is indeed the hiding spot, but getting that far (clues 1-4 in my solve) won't be enough. Clues 5-8 provide a site map leading to a very well hidden space about 15 yards east of the lake.

    The David Lynch thing is pretty brilliant, Doc. As you recall, one of His puzzling techniques (and one of your favorites, apparently) is to require the substitution of a word with a synonym for it.**

    Hanging Lake >>> Lynching Lake >>> Daviding Lake >>> Dividing Lake works for me.

    If you Google Earth Hanging Lake, you will see that it is quite circular, and divided in the mid-section by a long fallen log. There are several references to logs in the book (e.g. Tea with Olga >>> T + OLGA >>> AT A LOG, or the photo on page 34). It looks like a great big theta.






    ** Once upon a time, Doc, when working on another of His puzzles, you proposed this:

    FIND THE ROUTE >>> DISCOVER THE ROUTE >>> DISCOVER THE OUTER ______ >>> DISCOVER LIMITS >>> DEC VISITOR SLIM >>> SANTA FEW >>> SANTA FE W.

    Most of the rest of what you posted then was incorrect, but NOT THIS.

    You just needed to go one more step.

    SANTA FE W >>> RR W.

    An adjacent part of the clue coughs up an A and an O to yield ARROW.

    More about this down the road.

  5. #565
    Genetic Blend's Avatar
    Genetic Blend is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Amethyst
    Genetic Blend is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    You mentioned Hanging Lake. I believe there are more place names in that area having to do with "Death".

  6. #566
    catherwood is offline Found the 11! Bronze catherwood is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    167

    Default

    I concur on the U. I also do not have the book, so I am only looking at the low-rez scans other people have put online. The best I can do is offer this one zoom which is still fuzzy but does show the serif on the U curling in on itself.
    https://i.imgur.com/VeGyn9A.jpg
    I tried to find the name of the font. It's a variant of the Chancery font used on "Public Lands" plus the addition of bold and outline attributes which have fattened the serifs. However, I can still see a pixel or two from the background separating the arms of the U.

    Meanwhile, I have my own crazy notions.
    Am I the only one seeing a URL in the poem?
    "Begin it where warm waters halt " ->
    Begin: W W W (halt=stop=period=dot)

    Of course, I see nothing else to lead me to a .com or .net
    (insert laughter of madness here)

  7. #567
    Eliza is offline Junior Twelever +1 Silver Eliza is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catherwood View Post
    I concur on the U. I also do not have the book, so I am only looking at the low-rez scans other people have put online. The best I can do is offer this one zoom which is still fuzzy but does show the serif on the U curling in on itself.
    https://i.imgur.com/VeGyn9A.jpg
    I tried to find the name of the font. It's a variant of the Chancery font used on "Public Lands" plus the addition of bold and outline attributes which have fattened the serifs. However, I can still see a pixel or two from the background separating the arms of the U.

    Meanwhile, I have my own crazy notions.
    Am I the only one seeing a URL in the poem?
    "Begin it where warm waters halt " ->
    Begin: W W W (halt=stop=period=dot)

    Of course, I see nothing else to lead me to a .com or .net
    (insert laughter of madness here)
    Catherwood-

    I think you are correct about the U, but it may be that the choice of this rather ornate font was strategic, i.e., to at least instill some ambiguity about the identity of that particular letter. The idea of "typos" did not start here; Fenn seems to sprinkle them generously in other arenas, so it was a natural possibility to consider. In the larger scheme of things it's probably of minimal importance.

    You are not the first to equate halt with period and go from where warm waters halt to www.

    As far as I know, no one has gone any further with this other than to suggest that it is a hint that using the internet might be helpful. Google Earth has been mentioned most frequently.

    Liz

  8. #568
    astreeturover's Avatar
    astreeturover is offline !!! TwelevePlus
    Benitoite
    astreeturover is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    in MD
    Posts
    17,237

    Default

    .
    Good catch on the magnification, catherwood. I'm guessing he used it purposely, to give the effect of the "O", or along the lines of his "end meets the beginning".

    The WWW / web connection has been discussed in numerous places.

    One aspect I haven't seen discussed is

    BEGIN IT WHERE WARM WATERS HALT

    BE....W W W <> W W WEB

    astree
    Free is the best deal!

    "The Scarlet Cloud Approaches"
    "Time is of ten a one-way street"
    ..........Go 5 X 5..........

  9. #569
    Eliza is offline Junior Twelever +1 Silver Eliza is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by astreeturover View Post
    .
    Good catch on the magnification, catherwood. I'm guessing he used it purposely, to give the effect of the "O", or along the lines of his "end meets the beginning".


    astree
    I agree. It resembles an ouroboros.

  10. #570
    Genetic Blend's Avatar
    Genetic Blend is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Amethyst
    Genetic Blend is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    Has anyone ever asked Fenn if one would need a boat/raft/float to reach the treasure? Or has he said anything regarding this at all?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 157 FirstFirst ... 7 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 107 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts