+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Creatures and the Epilogue

searcher is offline Junior Twelever +1 TwelevePlus
    Bronze
    searcher is on a distinguished road

Default Creatures and the Epilogue

Over the past several weeks a number of people have been diligently working on the 5x5 grids and, so far, have not gotten the results they wanted. I have begun thinking that along with the 5x5's, maybe we should be looking in other areas. Several parts of the story might need to be examined in a different way. I am posting this here because what follows will end up with the Epilogue. And if, perchance, this stuff has been posted elsewhere, I missed it and sincerely apologize for wasting anyone's time.

I am focusing on the fact that some of the creatures seem to be more important than the others. Three to be exact – Spider, Dragonfly and Ladybug. These are the only creatures mentioned in chapter titles, three and six. In three we learn Dragonfly leads the Air Force and Spider runs the Ground Force. Spider plays a major role in this chapter because Dragonfly reports to her and she sets forth instructions to deal with the human. Look at her instructions p 23:
    T ie him up
    H ang him up
    E at him up
    She then refines her instructions to:
    A nalyze
    A ttack
    T hen
    D evour
    THE DATA I don't believe in coincidence. But, what data, I don't know.

For those people working on the different positions the creatures use note how Spider arranges the Ground Forces to rendezvous at the linden stump p. 25:
    Ant flank Snail on top of Beetle flank
    Grasshopper
    Caterpillar rear guard
    I've been playing with this for awhile but have come up with nothing.

Chapter four , “The Forest Creatures” is a continuation of setting the plan in motion with Dragonfly at the forefront. He outlines his four point strategy p 27:
    D elta formation
    A erial surveillance
    O bservation
    R endezvous
    ROAD Again what road if any.

In chap six Ladybug asserts herself over Dragonfly. She isn't challenged and becomes the new Air Group leader. She assigns the silhouette formation positions p. 34. She does a lot of talking but so far nothing jumps out.

With this said I began looking at where the hidden creatures appear and realized something unusual. Only Spider and Ladybug both appear as themselves in two separate borders. They are not stylized ( though some might argue Spider is), shadowed, or hidden. Easily recognizable, there is no doubt where they are located. It's as if MS is saying pay attention to these two guys. Dragonfly as himself is noticably absent from the borders.

Why might any of this be significant? Because Spider, Dragonfly, and Ladybug are the only creatures mentioned by name in the Epilogue. I would think that means something since he says their names and then adds "the other Forest Creatures." Why just name those three? And, something else, the Epilogue has exactly twelve sentences.

I really don't know if any of this means anything. I don't like the “coincidences”. I'm thinking we need to be doing something with these creatures, but what I don't know. There are a lot of smarter people than me on the forum and perhaps one of you can use this.

Looking forward to someone finding a token soon!

debz is offline Good Twelever Gold debz is an unknown quantity at this point

Another thing to notice in the Epilogue is that 13 characters are listed:
    Ana
    Zachariah
    Yorah
    Fairies
    Pickensrooters
    Kootenstoopits
    Pook
    tam-o'jacks
    grubinmoles
    cawcats
    Ladybug
    Dragonfly
    Spider
    The only token I found was SQUAT!!!
    http://www.tweleve.org/upload/squat_token.jpg

Cindy625 is offline Junior Twelever Copper Cindy625 is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, searcher! so cool! i've been messing around with these for a couple of weeks now, and never saw that! (can't see the forest for the trees, i guess). i was thinking that it is odd that the beetle is on the ground with the other "walkers" (for want of a better term) rather than flying with dragonfly and the other "fliers." i don't know what to make of it, but maybe it will ring a bell with someone.

searcher is offline Junior Twelever +1 TwelevePlus
    Bronze
    searcher is on a distinguished road

debz - I didn't count the character listing in the epilogue. Good idea. We need to add Darklings and Rusful. If you do that then there are 15 mentioned. What if you take away the tam-o'jacks, grubinmoles and cawcats. They don't seem to play a big role in the story other than Pook is afraid of them. With them gone from the list we are back at 12.

One thing I just noticed is that in my orig post the delta formation didn't come out like I typed it. Sorry what I was trying to do wasn't clear. You can build the formation using the text and see what I was looking at.

And Cindy you are right - why does the beetle walk?

debz is offline Good Twelever Gold debz is an unknown quantity at this point

Good point choosing Darklings and Rusful. They are capitalized. (Guess I fear the dark hahahah)

Thinking on the beetle.. (perhaps we need to identify it more), I think some do not fly because of undeveloped wings, but I will check)

Six of our creatures fly, Butterfly, Bee, Dragonfly, Hummingbird, Beetle and Firefly.
    Six are ground creatures, Ant, Caterpillar, Snail, Spider and Grasshopper.

When reading through pg98 again, does Zac comment that these are the jewels, or were the ones waking up the jewels? Strange that the "jewels" would fly in together in the "group formation".

..... on Formations......
    I have tried working with the Delta formation overlapped over the Ground Force... but still having trouble. AND cannot post it here, don't know how to get it to format right.
    I also think that each group takes "trips" more than once, and together possibly two trips.
    But... this really belongs on another page.
    The only token I found was SQUAT!!!
    http://www.tweleve.org/upload/squat_token.jpg

+ Reply to Thread