+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Matching Grid on another page

Hunnytree is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Hunnytree is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Grille Cipher

OK. Been reading up more on Grille Ciphers. First thing I see is it is usually a square. Originally I made a tracing of the Dream dropcap grid, cut out a template with the blacked out areas being the holes. Then I thought ok now what do I do with this...

The way a grille cipher is used helps. Like I said, first it is usually a square. Almost has to be if it is a "turning grille cipher". The template is cut out and the MESSAGE is then written letter by letter inside the holes/apertures. When the last hole is used, the grille is turned 90 degrees.

If the apertures are properly placed on the grille, turning the grille through all four positions (i.e. 0 degrees, 90 degrees, 180 degrees, and 270 degrees) will not result in any aperture appearing in a position where a letter has already been written on the paper.
    from http://hem.passagen.se/tan01/transpo.html

Now if the grille is a rectangular shape,,,which the grid on page 86 is...then the 90 degree turns probably won't work. However, it could be turned upside down, then perhaps turned over. In the case of the pg. 86 grid/grille....the ONLY way it can be used is to turn it ONCE ONLY, upside down. THAT turn is the only way no aperture appears in a position where a letter or series of letters would already appear on the paper.

That's what I got so far.

Again, I do not understand what your grille method is, haf.

And, while I thought a grille cipher might be what the pg. 86 grid is trying to tell us....how and where do we use it?

I have one last thought/idea. Maybe the grille needs to be scaled down to the grid size that appears on page 16 and THEN the blackened out areas cut out. I haven't tried that yet. The size of the apertures for the letters might more match the size of the text in the book then. Whaddya think?
    "When you created the book, you also created us."

Hunnytree is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Hunnytree is an unknown quantity at this point

Little story for ya. My grandaughter comes home each day and tells us what the best thing that happened at school was that day and what the worst thing was. Today the whole class got punished with a 20 minute time out because of the actions of one kid. I said, "Tell me about it. Let me tell you what they did on the forum." And I explained to her what had occurred here as regards edit capabilities. My 7yo grandaughter felt the same way I did and agreed with gramma that people should be able to edit their posts if they wanted to. It is not unusual for one person on a forum to get a 'bug in their bonnet' and start deleting everything they ever wrote. Seen it before. Will probably see it again. So...this is my singular plea. What can I say. I WANT MY EDIT CAPABILITIES BACK !

Matter of fact....how about taking a poll on THAT one !!

OK. That being said.......

After re-reading my above post I realized it should probably be said,,,even tho it is fairly self-explanatory,,,that to READ the MESSAGE that has been written,,,,the grille is placed OVER the text and the letters can be read one by one. Usually.

In the case of a 'turning grille cipher' ,,,, one set of letters would be read, then the grille is turned, first 90 degrees, then 180, and so on,,,,and each subsequent set of letters is read. This works fine with a SQUARE grille.

Our pg. 86 grid/grille isn't. SQUARE, that is.

And,,,,,the apertures developed from the pg. 86 grid/grille would indicate rather than INDIVIDUAL LETTERS being able to be read to decipher a message,,,, these apertures are larger,,,,almost WORD LENGTH,,,on face. Leaving still more questions to be answered.

AND,,,,as I mentioned previously,,,it could only be turned (that I can see) ONE WAY,,,,flip it over and turn it upside down ! Anything you had already seen would be covered up and new words/letters would be revealed.

If only you knew where and how to use it.
    "When you created the book, you also created us."

AGDukesky is offline Needs to say Hello! AGDukesky is an unknown quantity at this point

Default p16 knothole

I'm pretty sure the word in the knothole is "KEYS" and wife says she sees the same thing. I hope that helps!

Indy is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper Indy is an unknown quantity at this point

The Jogger's Keys!
    This belongs in a museum!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5