+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Great Forest

jrrag is offline Good Twelever Platinum jrrag is on a distinguished road

Default The Great Forest

What is the Great Forest?

The Great Forest is the woods in which our story takes place. It is populated with critters, faeries, trees made of wood, holes and leaves, and heros.

The Great Forest is the text of the book. It is populated with sentences made of words made of letters.

The Great Forest is the night sky. It is populated with galaxies made of constellations made of stars.

The Dream
    -------------
    There are three components to the first half of The Dream. The text describes trees in a mist that rise up into a hole in the sky that becomes filled with light. If I was seeing a mist in the woods, I'd call that fog. Of course through a fog, nothing is seen clearly, it clouds one's vision. A hole in the sky that is filled with light--sounds like a visible celestial body, possibly a star. So we have as the three subjects: tree, fog, and star. Here's where it gets cool. Zac says he sees his wife's face in the midst of these strands of trees. Ana's face is in the night sky in the painting. It is in the stars perhaps. Many believe that Ana represents the clue of anagrams, so lets anagram the three subjects tree, fog and star.

GREAT FOREST

Metaphorically, the fog is lifted and one can see that trees relate to stars. It gets better. The first paragraph of The Dream contains the phrase, "in the center of the strands of trees." Strands of trees? That's odd. Anagram that. THE FOREST ENDS IN CENTER OF THE STAR. Granted some words are the same, so if one just takes "strands of trees", which is the odd sounding phrase, it gives FOREST END STARS.

I really thought I had a eureka here. There's a little more, but I'm not ready to share it yet.

How's this hit you?

Hunnytree is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Hunnytree is an unknown quantity at this point

About as odd as a "bumpy round gourd for sale from a dubious grocer."

or

" ...he will find them for me, and bring them to me, and put them in my hands."

On the other hand, one could say that MS used the word "strands" because it fit the way the willow was woven together holding Ana captive.
    "When you created the book, you also created us."

sk8tingmom is offline Junior Twelever Bronze sk8tingmom is an unknown quantity at this point

Honeytree- A few days ago I spent alot of time looking at that first paragraph on the dream page. I also thought strand was an odd word to use. It can mean a line of trees. I also thought of the willow because I think zac is seeing Ana in her prison. He doesn't know where she is but at the end of the dream he does. I also thought of strand as a vine. I believe there was another meaning refering to a coast line or beach.

sk8tingmom is offline Junior Twelever Bronze sk8tingmom is an unknown quantity at this point

Mistake

Honeytree- "IN THE CENTER OF THE STRANDS OF TREES" I got "THIRTEEN STANDS FOR ONE STREET" Thought I had something until I noticed "FEH" was left over. Oh well, keep trying. I really think there's something in that phrase. Anyone else have an idea??

moonglitter is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper moonglitter is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by sk8tingmom
    I also thought strand was an odd word to use. It can mean a line of trees.
    Actually, that's a *stand* of trees. That word jumped out at me the first time I read the book. Strands is the wrong word to use here, and even if it was, it shouldn't be plural. So why would he use it?

Definitions of "strand":

1. A complex of fibers or filaments that have been twisted together to form a cable, rope, thread, or yarn.

2. A single filament, such as a fiber or thread, of a woven or braided material.

3. A wisp or tress of hair.

4. Something that is plaited or twisted as a ropelike length: a strand of pearls; a strand of DNA.

5. One of the elements woven together to make an intricate whole, such as the plot of a novel.

Not quite sure where I'm going with this, but then, we're all just guessing at this point, eh?

Happy Hunting,
    Paula

Hunnytree is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Hunnytree is an unknown quantity at this point

Differing viewpoint on this one.

Google the entire phrase: "strand of trees" ....

You'll see why.

Chuckling to myself here......and wondering why I'm even arguing the point....probably only because I, too, thought it was an odd usage when I first read it as well....but then I did a little research and thought better of my first thought.

I think a "strand of trees" might be more like a "string of pearls" ..... a "row" if you will.

I think a "stand of trees" is a whole buncha trees all together...like a "timber stand" -- Forest Managers would use the phrase like that..."a stand of timber".

Googling "stand of trees and strand" together I ran across this; someone's tutorial for doing a drawing, apparently for a Christmas card. He pretty much goes from a "strand" to a "couple of strands" of trees to a "stand of trees". [brackets for emhasis mine]

from: http://www.psppower.com/2001december/custombrush.htm
    The idea is to use the strand of trees as a base on which I could apply Christmas accents.

Figure 7: The farthest row of trees.
    [ a strand of trees ]

Figure 8: The next row of trees.
    [ another strand of trees added ]

Figure 9: The completed base image of a stand of trees.
    [ NOW it's a stand of trees ]

I think you are right, however, in saying MS' use of "strands of trees" IS very odd. By the time you are talking about "strands of trees" you might as well have said "stand". OTOH.....maybe that's exactly what he meant....and maybe he did have a reason why. That second figure COULD be considered: "strands of trees"; i.e. two rows.

ladyfeline is offline Junior Twelever +1 Silver ladyfeline is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: The Great Forest

Quote Originally Posted by jrrag
    How's this hit you?
    It kinda hits me right here:

http://www.tricityperformance.net/

Ladybug is offline Junior Twelever Bronze Ladybug is an unknown quantity at this point

Did ya'll get the connection...Zac and Ana both had headaches, she was put in the willow tree. Aspirin is made from willow bark. You take aspirin for headaches. This could also tie in with Rusful being a pharmacist.

Ladybug
    (kiva101 on ATT site)
    I found my Treasure, now YOU find yours.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast