+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5x5 with black boxes is a tangram puzzle

mommaegerer is offline Junior Twelever Bronze mommaegerer is an unknown quantity at this point

Default 5x5 with black boxes is a tangram puzzle

I posted this on ATT so I thought I would share here also.

I have been looking at that 5x5 box with the black boxes trying to figure out what word it would come up with. But tonight I wondered if it was a puzzle, like the tangrams (where you have the geometric shapes and have to try to fit them back into a square, or you can make pictures with them). Anyway, I made the box on graph paper and cut out the 5 shapes. I came up with something that confirms most of our thoughts on one aspect of the 5x5 square.

Try it and see if you get it too. You might come up with something different. Which is always helpful.

Hunnytree is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Hunnytree is an unknown quantity at this point

mommaegerer,

I made a couple of templates of the grid on pg. 86 with another thought in mind,,,,the turning grille.

Didn't get any positive results from that exercise however.

But now I am darn curious....about your tangram theory.

Please share more. I have the templates and would be interested in what you think one might do with them.

I made one sized to the grid on pg. 86, and the other with the same holes cut out sized to the grid on pg. 16.
    "When you created the book, you also created us."

zbeeble42 is offline Junior Twelever Bronze zbeeble42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Black squares

I think the black squares are what's called NULLS. Once we figue out a pattern of numbers to go inside the 5x5 grid, we ignore the values in the Nulled squares. Cyphers of this type often use nulls as a means to throw off unintended decryption.

The numbers we fit in the grid will not be a squential solution, but rather will be filled with a cypher. Cyphers often group encoded symbols in sets of 5 to reduce copying mistakes. A Keyword will determine how to read the values in each square.

ZB42

mommaegerer is offline Junior Twelever Bronze mommaegerer is an unknown quantity at this point

Cut out the box so you have 5 pieces to the puzzle.

I drew the 5x5 box on a grid and then doubled the size. So I had white and black pieces.

1 black piece of 2 boxes in row
    1 black piece of 3 boxes in row
    1 black piece of 3 boxes shaped in a L
    1 white piece of 1 box (left over after cutting out the L)
    1 white piece of all the other boxes (do not cut this up)

Rearrange until you find something interesting. Hint - the pieces need to extend out from the large white shape.

Give it a try. See what you come up with.

Hunnytree is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Hunnytree is an unknown quantity at this point

zbeeble, you seem to know quite a bit about ciphers...let me give you a challenge

I have a couple of letter strings for you to consider if you are so inclined.

the 1st I derived from pg 28....recalling renart's comments about the four commas in the pangram, first sentence, I took the cue to take every fourth letter and derived a letter string...

LEERUMAAEECOOEDEDKPLRLHAAXMSLAIHNISSDBEITAFOEGBHE

Frankly, it didn't look all that promising after I got it...and I sure wasn't going for an anagram....but....for the for what it's worth dept. there you go.

Another letter string, which I derived, came in pairs of letters.

This one seemed like something to certainly consider, however, I personally got nowhere with it.

The letters are a combination of:

1. The letter in each drop cap with a fairy in it
    2. The letter in the border's hidden poem message (or that which would most closely relate to a border letter) that the fairy is pointing to

I took these two strategies from other sources, one of them being Masquerade, the other from Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, in which the author uses the illuminated letters at the beginning of each chapter to spell out a phrase - a clue, if you will.

Here is the list:

Fairy Drop Caps + Letter in Border(s) Fairy is Pointing To: (there are 13 pairs)

1. Z + S
    2. F + T
    3. D + U
    4. B + N
    8. S + C
    10. O + T
    11. T + N
    12. Y + F
    13. T + R
    14. T + A
    15. T + C
    17. R + L
    18. I + O

If you choose to accept this mission, this post will self-destruct in 60 seconds.
    Oops. Wrong again. There IS no EDIT button.
    "When you created the book, you also created us."

mookieb10 is offline Needs to say Hello! mookieb10 is an unknown quantity at this point

I havent played with putting letters in the boxes yet but if you turn the black boxes like a grille cipher the middle box and the center box on all sides do not get blacked out. This I believe leaves directionals North, East, South and West somewhat like Doc was saying. May I just add Doc is pure genius!

mrsfisher is offline Needs to say Hello! mrsfisher is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering if the colors on the box had anything to do with the celtic knots on page 20-21?

Just a thought.

+ Reply to Thread