View Poll Results: "Special Knowledge" is?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Something I learned after the third grade.

11 9.02%
  • Anything I do not understand.

16 13.11%
  • Unique information only the author has access to.

57 46.72%
  • The name of our sanctuary where the tokens are hidden.

6 4.92%
  • None of the above.

32 26.23%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Special Knowledge

Fenix is offline Twelever TwelevePlus
    Silver
    Fenix is an unknown quantity at this point

Default No Special Knowledge

I see a lot of people ruling out things because they think it requires "special knowledge"...while I should probably chalk this up to other's ignorance and go on about my business I figured I would start a thread....I also see people talking about "if you learned it before third grade" or some random age it would not be special knowledge...here is my take....special knowledge = something only the author knows or has access to....I for one am tired of reading these posts where people shun an idea because they do not have the knowledge to work a cipher or what not and then go on to explain the long lost translation of fairy speak, tying that into a puzzle...please, make sure you are not confusing "our lack of knowledge" for special knowledge! thanks and sorry for the rant....

fenix
    Logic will break your heart......

spectrechaser is offline Junior Twelever Bronze spectrechaser is an unknown quantity at this point

I keep thinking of what MS said about the clues and I quote, " While the cipher section may be a little too complex for some people, you should at least figure out that the map to a treasure may be written in a lanquage that only the person who hides the treasure can understand - and you may have to do a little work to decipher the clues."---MS companion book pg. 9

If that isn't enough to convince people that ciphers are important, then consider this, " All the puzzles and illusions in this book(companion book) relate in some way to solving the clue's in 'A Treasure's Trove'. ---MS companion book pg. 8.

The companion book has plenty of ciphers to figure out. So I take it from the man himself, ciphers? of course! It's a hidden treasure.
    " The environment is where we all meet; where we all have mutual interest; it is the one thing that all of us share. It is not only a mirror of ourselves, but a focusing lens on what we become...--- NLASDNYA HBOIJBI

mommypi is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper mommypi is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to say...thanks Fenix. We needed this poll. I feel the same way you do about how MS defines special knowledge. Now maybe everybody won't be so quick to shoot down others ideas, no matter how far-fetched they seem. Thanks!

Jep
    Jep is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze Jep is an unknown quantity at this point

In "A Treasure's Trove" MS writes:
    The simple clues do not need any special knowledge to find or decipher.
    What about the hard ones?

Forget about Easy Street - it doesn't exist (IMO).

Jep

ChptleLvr is offline Twelever Silver ChptleLvr is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely right, Jep. I've long thought but not said I think "the simple clues" is only refering to the some of the clues to be had -- that there are likely to be "hard clues" which do require more knowledge and effort than the simple ones.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

~ Samuel Johnson

SmartOhMy is offline Needs to say Hello! SmartOhMy is an unknown quantity at this point

In my humble opinion "special knowledge" would have to be something hard to come by, not something that you can get from the companion book or internet browsing. It would be very unique. I think MS simply means that anyone can obtain the knowlege to solve the puzzle without being Einstien.

Gaines is offline Junior Twelever Bronze Gaines is an unknown quantity at this point

This has really got me thinking. Should I get the companion book? I do not have it, nor was it available when I bought the book. Seems like I might be missing some clues without it? What do you all think?

topherBR1 is offline Junior Twelever TwelevePlus
    Bronze
    topherBR1 is an unknown quantity at this point

the companion book is clearly a key to catching a lot of the clues in the main book. the fact that puzzle 31 is how to find morse in illustrations and then p.31 has morse in the border is not a coincidence. i don't think that you NEED the companion book but i think it surely is a guide to the harder clues.
    any day above ground is a good day

Jep
    Jep is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze Jep is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by topherBR1
    the companion book is clearly a key to catching a lot of the clues in the main book. the fact that puzzle 31 is how to find morse in illustrations and then p.31 has morse in the border is not a coincidence. i don't think that you NEED the companion book but i think it surely is a guide to the harder clues.
    Interesting. I think of it as an unnecessary guide to the *easy* clues.

Jep

topherBR1 is offline Junior Twelever TwelevePlus
    Bronze
    topherBR1 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for not grabbing all the tokens this week jep!! nothing like giving all us low brow's a sporting chance!!
    any day above ground is a good day

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast