+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mates and Relatives

pookypook is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper pookypook is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Mates and Relatives

Okay, this is probably completely meaningless, just a small inconsistency on the author's part, but... has anyone else noticed: On page 15, we learn that "All of the other creatures had lost their mates to the dark dust." Later, on page 26, it says "Each of them mourned a relative or mate who had been touched by the dust..."

If they had all lost their mates, why does the author find it necessary to say "relative OR mate" the second time?

_~BlAnK is offline Twelever Gold _~BlAnK is an unknown quantity at this point
    Weren't you wondering about that noise behind you?

In one of the book signings, he mentions quite clearly mates, but in one of the Hummingbird posts both hummingbirds are clear male... I'm thinking relatives
    Or am I just paranoid...

*Of course*

skoldpadda is offline Twelever Silver skoldpadda is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't open up that can of worms
    Over 1,000 miles travelled in search of 1 token.

Tokens found: zero. (no, I don't expect I'll have to edit this)

Currently working on: Firefly, beetle.

jenrn4u is offline Junior Twelever +1 TwelevePlus
    Silver
    jenrn4u is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not??
    Just because you-know-who IS a nutcase, doesn't mean ALL of his logic is flawed.
    We can't ignore EVERYTHING that "he" said JUST because he said it. The information needs to be looked at independent of who found it. Just because the whole solution was a hoax, doesn't mean there isn't ANY truth in there.
    Pookypook is right, at one point the book DOES say "relative or mate". That wasn't made up, or flawed logic, like a lot of the other things in "the hoax".
    I don't know what the clue could be in "relative or mate", but it does seem obvious or out-of-place. Could have to do with both hummingbirds appearing to be males, I don't know.
    But if we ignore information just because of where it came from, without looking to see if there's any merit in it, we may be throwing valuable clues out the window.

quakrspecl is offline Twelever Silver quakrspecl is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Caterpillar

May be that caterpillars become moths or butterflies...but they do not mate. Caterpillars may have relatives, though.

Lalena24Ca is offline Needs to say Hello! Lalena24Ca is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok yes, I'll admit this is far fetched. Ok I did an anagram for relative or mate and you can make "lamia trove tree". Now I noticed you all talking about various greek references, but lamia is this greek serpent who would rise at night to drink children's blood. I thought it was interesting that that popped up and with the serpents on pages 45, 77 (especially!), 78, and 83.

It's a pretty cryptic message for a kids book.
    Lalena/Lauren

Bonzor Computers
    LaWiBiz

sdysard is offline Needs to say Hello! sdysard is an unknown quantity at this point

Default relative = reveal it

anagram

whisper is offline Twelever Silver whisper is an unknown quantity at this point

most fairy tales have a sinister undertone, poisonings and being eaten or gobbled up

which is what makes them interesting to me

whisper

stacy448 is offline Needs to say Hello! stacy448 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am convinced that cryptograms have to be part of at least one solution. the CB contains no fewer than 10 cryptoquote puzzles. the only problem is identifying where to apply them. my gut has told me to look at sentences that contain unneccessary words or spellings, and this "relative or mate" sentence may be one of them.

any feedback?
    Stacy

perchprism is offline Good Twelever Gold perchprism is on a distinguished road

Stacy, my great fear is cryptograms. I'm great at the newspaper Cryptoquotes--I do them in my head, no pencil allowed. However, how do we know when the gibberish we're looking at is a cryptogram? I think perhaps we cannot or will not see it for what it is, because MS uses truncated language in his messages. Perhaps in a cryptogram he'll be more reasonable, but I'm afraid he won't.

Another problem is, to decode a cryptogram you need several letters. How many times have you been spooked away from further analysis when obviously generating gibberish letters? I really like cryptogram puzzles, and I think I'd never recognize one if imbedded in these puzzles.

Here's a consoling thought: Save our tree's Art, and A Treasure's trove, retained the possessive apostrophe. Possibly, punctuation is retained--that is, maybe word length or periods at the end of sentences are kept intact. However, my usual practice is to run all letters together, without retention of punctuation. That might be a mistake (well, it IS a mistake, if a cryptogram is in the offing).

I believe I'll never do a cryptogram for any puzzle in ATT. I'll never see it for what it is.

Perchprism

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast