+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: "Magic Eye"

blueman is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper blueman is an unknown quantity at this point

You are very Warm!

Good Luck

turkeymonkey is offline Junior Twelever +1 TwelevePlus
    Silver
    turkeymonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

A little while back somebody posted about so-called Magic Eye glasses, which enable you to see stereograms without crossing your eyes or straining. They're sold by a company called Optrix, in California. It sounded kinda loco at the time, but I went ahead and tracked down a pair. I know this kinda constitutes cheating, but--well, until rdshackleford and his naughty image uploads, noboby was having any luck seeing p. 37. Considering how much time I'd already spent on it, I needed all the help I could get.

A week or so ago the glasses arrived in three pieces in a plain old #10 envelope. They were just three pieces of plastic, which you snap together. One side of the glasses had a small circle that, the instructions promised, would force that eye to focus on a different part of the image than the other. In other words, looking through the small ribbed dot with one eye fools the brain into seeing double. It didn't sound nearly as promising as Photoshop, but still worth a try.

You can imagine my shock and suprise when I loaded up the first stereogram, from one of those Magic Eye websites Hunnytree posted, and the images instantaneously came into focus. True to the brand name, Pop!Eyes, the glasses made the depth pop. I tried them on about 10 Magic Eye pictures and, sure enough, they worked every time.

Now the bad news: Page 37 yielded nada. Zip, zero, zilch. Not even the ink blots that rdshackleford posted a couple days ago.

Until I got the glasses, nothing could convince me that YE NOMENCLATURE wasn't a Magic Eye, but now I'm not so sure. As someone (Hunting4Treasure?) said a while ago, maybe this puzzle is a red herring because of the pickensrooter. Or maybe just the Magic Eye portion is a distraction, taking your eyes off the real puzzle in the purple thistle border. I dunno.

What I am reasonably certain of now is that there's no way to see depth in this image as it's printed. Maybe folding is the key. Maybe Renart's method of cutting it up is necessary. Or maybe it's just one big, nasty distraction.

In the words of the Old Prospector, "Awww peaches!"

(Incidentally, re: the pickensrooter, let's assume for the time being that this idea doesn't also apply to p.63, the blocks puzzle. If it does, I might just have a nervous breakdown.)

rdshackleford is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Emerald
    rdshackleford is on a distinguished road

I told you there was nothing there. Just copy/paste artifacts. Sadly, I also purchased the glasses from Optrix. I figured out the Photoshop method only after I sent in my check. Oh, well.

-Rusty

p.s. "naughty image uploads". That's funny. Actually, that reminds me of the urban legend (was it a legend?) about subliminal advertising back in the 70's. Hmm...

virleo is offline Junior Twelever +1 TwelevePlus
    Bronze
    virleo is on a distinguished road

A few points:

1. Book cover looks to me like it has a scale pattern, not a honeycomb pattern. This implies it is bound in reptile leather, presumably dragon leather.

2. Thistle in lower right can be seen to have an upside-down dragon head, though it can look a bit cow-like too. Might be just an unintended artifact, of course.

3. Thistle about 2 inches above it and to the right can be seen to have an upside-down anime-like fairy head. Again, might just be an unintended artifact.

4. Re blueman. He may or may not be right or partly right, but he probably believes that what he says he sees is really there. Some people have more influential imaginations than others, and we all tend to perceive what we expect to or want to perceive. It's like asking people what they see in some clouds or in abstract (non-representational) art; you'll get all kinds of answers. I don't like to accept any visual clues in this book unless I can see them reasonably clearly and repeatedly, and even then I'm not always 100% sure.

5. I can see lots of letters and numbers in this cover if I try, but the only ones I have any confidence in so far are the large ones, about 3/4 inch high, just under the title area. "Haf" has said he sees "10852" there. I seem to see "158B5". I haven't clearly made out anything in the last inch or so; although I can see a sort of a "2" there, it doesn't seem to complete itself properly enough.

6. I still have no idea what the bumps, nicks, yellow areas, and other small odd features are, but I suspect they must mean something.

--Virleo

rdshackleford is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Emerald
    rdshackleford is on a distinguished road

I put 18052 in an image I posted to make a point. There are no stereograms. If there were, dozens of people would be fighting over tokens by now.

-Rusty

Bronze

The characters under the title are not stereograms. They can be seen with the naked eye, but a 3x lens works better. They are subtle but can be found repeatedly. The easiest one to see is the 8; it's top touches the "a" in Faeries.
    --Virleo

renart is offline Twelever Silver renart is an unknown quantity at this point

Virleo,
    I think what you're seeing is an F

Chris
    Startin' to have a love/hate relationship with ATT

Bronze

Still looks like an 8 to me, even after checking another copy of the book. It is approximately 7-8 mm wide and 19 mm tall.

cabunk is offline Good Twelever Platinum cabunk is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm seeing the word see below the word fairies, and a couple of letters across from Ye but can't quite make them out (it looks like Be, though). They are not in stereogram form.

Renart,...am I on the right track??

wpglaeser is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze wpglaeser is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Wild Goose Chases

I think Renart and Blueman are just getting their jollies by leading people on wild goose chases.

I know a lot of you agree with me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12