+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tabs on book spine

greenprincess is offline Twelever TwelevePlus
    Silver
    greenprincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Tabs on book spine

Has anyone notice the two little 'tabs' on the spine of the book on pg 37?
    The first lines up with 'Nomenclature'. The second is about an inch above the bottom.
    These remind me of the 'insert Tab A into Slot B' kinda things.

Maybe folding the page with the 2 tabs on top of each other? Place a mirror on the tabs? Any other ideas?

I would do this but I don't have a mirror (it's on my to-do list) and I'm not ready to rip apart my book to try folding.

hjdiv is offline Junior Twelever Copper hjdiv is an unknown quantity at this point

Not shooting down or confirming validity of idea, mearly adding knowledge

This looks like the ridges on the spine of an older book bound in leather or other such material. I've spent a lot of time in a library in my life and these appear to be the same type of bumps found on the spines. I believe they are there to make the book look more "real", but they darn well could be a folding guide.

just my 1.5 cents

ratty is offline Junior Twelever TwelevePlus
    Copper
    ratty is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen Magic Eye pictures for beginners which include a pair of spots or marks in proper spacing which help your eyes refocus to see the Magic Eye effect--so given the Magic-Eye appearance of the Nomenclature cover I originally thought those tabs were something to do with that, especially when noticing each tab has the same markings.

However, the Magic Eye subject has been beat more-or-less to death in another thread, and so I've concluded that if there indeed is some Magic-Eye image to see in the cover, it requires some kind of physical rearrangement first--which would make 'focus helper spots' useless. So maybe they have to do with the presumed rearrangement of the page?

I guess I'm saying I have no freakin' idea what they're for, but they reinforce my belief of there being some Magic Eye business here somehow.

-ratty
    "Regard this simple silver salt cellar. Regard this simple hat."

minerva is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper minerva is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a look on the opposite edge of the book. You can see fairly small notches--its easier to see them in the book's shadow than in the cover of the book itself. But like most things, I don't know the meaning of what I see.

mackadoo is offline Junior Twelever +1 Silver mackadoo is an unknown quantity at this point

This may have been posted elsewhere with regards to the notches in the shadow. I also don't know if it means anything, however, I can tell you that when working in photoshop, as this page was (or something similar), this type of thing can be produced when doing a shadow and is pretty common.

Let me explain. The cover of the book is speckled with different colors. When you click the tool to do a "runaround" so you can make the shape for the shadow, it will sometimes not pick up everything you want it to. There are adjustments one can make for how close they want it to run up against the image and how "sensitive" they want the runaround tool to be. In other words, MS might have had the tool set (accidentally) so that it was picking up colors in the cover that were on the edge and were similar to the background, therefore creating a little notch where those speckles were. This is so hard to explain and much easier to show in person. If you look at the book, you can see where the actual notch would line up with a light colored (or nonexistent) speckle. Remember the shadow is offset to the right and down, so look up a little on the book edge.

Well, there's a lot of probably-not-very-helpful info. But I thought I'd throw that out there.

Mack
    Calgon, take me away! To the jewels preferably!

greenprincess is offline Twelever TwelevePlus
    Silver
    greenprincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the photoshop explanation. I learned something, today. And I also like the idea of the ridges that are on older books. That thought had never occurred to me, either.

mackadoo is offline Junior Twelever +1 Silver mackadoo is an unknown quantity at this point

No problem Terri. Sorry it took me so long to post that.
    Calgon, take me away! To the jewels preferably!

+ Reply to Thread