+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Array and inset

12pm is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Sapphire
    12pm will become famous soon enough

Default Array and inset

Just want to point out these two words on page 48. They feel particularly programmer-ly to me to appear in a fairy tale.

Another thing that stands out for me on page 48 is the number of semicolons that appear here in a story that uses so few. There are plenty of ellipses and em dashes throughout the story, but not too many semicolons.

It might well be worth looking at all the words that appear just before or after semicolons, but that's something for a different thread.

destructo is offline Banned Aquamarine destructo is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad we're starting to move tword textual clues, because I think that our nit-picking over the images hasn't revealed anything useful in a week or two.

Just like the removal of Q has numerous signs of intent by the author, some of these textual hints should have evidence of intent. Perhaps it's worth note that this page is where we find the puzzle "witin the text you have the key."

On the skeptic side, Stadther is a little loose with his grammar, often leaving out some punctuation that might be called for. Here, the semi-colons are appropriate, as they replace commas when one or more of the clauses contains a list.

I agree that the words themselves are worth looking at here.

Flutterby is offline Needs to say Hello! Flutterby is an unknown quantity at this point

It's been a while since much has been posted here. I was just noticing on page 48

Before him, in orderly array, lay his woodworking tools-rasps,chisels, and planes. On the wall behind him hung the timbering tools he hadn't used in months-spoke shaves, mallets and saws.

Not to be petty or anything, but spoke shaves and mallets are woodworking tools, they are not timbering tools. There are also many saws used in woodworking. Not to mention he used his pruning saw earlier in chapter 5.

To be more specific, you would use a mallet to tap the end of a chisel to carve wood. A spoke shave is a planing tool, used to trim and smooth rounded surfaces. Planes are used to make wood smooth and level. I don't know what to do with this information.
    Maybe anagram
    chisels & mallets, planes & spoke shaves, rasps & saws

debz is offline Good Twelever Gold debz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterby
    It's been a while since much has been posted here. I was just noticing on page 48

Before him, in orderly array, lay his woodworking tools-rasps,chisels, and planes. On the wall behind him hung the timbering tools he hadn't used in months-spoke shaves, mallets and saws.

Not to be petty or anything, but spoke shaves and mallets are woodworking tools, they are not timbering tools. There are also many saws used in woodworking. Not to mention he used his pruning saw earlier in chapter 5.

To be more specific, you would use a mallet to tap the end of a chisel to carve wood. A spoke shave is a planing tool, used to trim and smooth rounded surfaces. Planes are used to make wood smooth and level. I don't know what to do with this information.
    Maybe anagram
    chisels & mallets, planes & spoke shaves, rasps & saws
    I have tried to "draw" out this workroom. BUT I wasnt sure about the specific use of the tools.

I have thought that Zac would have used more of the timbering tools to build the house.
    And perhaps a few different tools to build the walnut staircase.

The chisel is interesting, because Ana gives him one as a gift. Either this Anniversay is not placed in the right "order" of the story, or it is just "another" chisel.
    He would have used the chisel to make toy blocks.

When ordering the tools, leaving the area where the timber would be, do you end up with a U shape?

If someone could make a "drawing" and scan it in here, I would appreciate it.
    Thanks,... and.....

Thanks for another post that makes me re-read and re-think!
    The only token I found was SQUAT!!!
    http://www.tweleve.org/upload/squat_token.jpg

+ Reply to Thread