+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Printer's marks on p76?

ratty is offline Junior Twelever TwelevePlus
    Copper
    ratty is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Printer's marks on p76?

On page 76 there is a VERY faint blue dotted line forming a box in the lower right of the page (mostly around the tree).

It looks almost like a placement box for the tree graphic, or a guide for the text to wrap around the picture, or something like that.

Look with a good magnifier and bright light--the line goes up from the bottom of the page (about one inch to the left of the tree trunk), up to a point 1/2 inch below the treetop, and from there it goes behind the top of the tree and to the right edge of the page.

No doubt it's a leftover from the production process, but I suppose there's always a chance it has some meaning...

-ratty
    "Regard this simple silver salt cellar. Regard this simple hat."

precious1 is offline Junior Twelever +1 TwelevePlus
    Bronze
    precious1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes Ratty I do see it! Just to let you know I have three books, 1 first & 2 second editions and the box appears in all 3! There was mention in another post about odd faint colored lines on other pages but they were not in my first edition only in the second. So those I just assume are 'printing errors. So this one is probably suppose to be there. BUT for what? Maybe we should fill our 5x5's with trees!

honeybee is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze honeybee is an unknown quantity at this point

Cut along the dotted line? I see it, too. It reminds me of a coupon. Maybe there are pictures that make a bigger picture?
    "...you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you."

debz is offline Good Twelever Gold debz is an unknown quantity at this point

I see a dog's face in the center top of the tree on page 76.

It doesn't look like Pook, but I was thinking may it is one of MS's other dogs.

It is possible to make out two other dogs, one on each side, but not as clear.

Reminds me of the Cheshire cat.
    The only token I found was SQUAT!!!
    http://www.tweleve.org/upload/squat_token.jpg

turkeymonkey is offline Junior Twelever +1 TwelevePlus
    Silver
    turkeymonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm, weird. That dotted line is definately there. No idea what to make of it. It seems to suggest cutting out the tree images and maybe, like SAVE OUR TREES ARE, reassembling them. I did this a long time ago with photocopies of the book pages, but haven't tried lately.

Any ideas on how exactly to arrange the tree pictures? This is the same problem we've got with the p.93, the image of crystallized pook. The companion book suggests that tanograms might be part of the hunt, and in different CB tanogram exercises you're supposed to form a plus sign, hexagon, and triangle.

What are the important symbols or geometric designs that Stadther has been pointing us towards in ATT? There's the funky delta symbol on the acorn on p. 52 (the one that we did not see?), which seems to suggest triangle. FIVE TO A SIDE could easily mean pentagon. There's "an open box as long as it was wide and inside the box were smaller boxes arranged in rows, five to a side" (p. 87), but there seem to be too many tree pictures to form a box this way.

Then again, maybe not. It would be an interesting puzzle if you were supposed to overlap certain of the trees and arrange them into a box like CB puzzle 71 -- i.e. not a 5x5 grid, but a series of different-sized overlapping squares and rectangle within a perfect square. If you look at puzzle 71, you'll see how you could get FIVE TO A SIDE without actually having a five boxes neatly stacked or in a row.

Darn, I wish I could get this to work! My wife will be none too pleased when she gets home to see that I've cut up a fresh batch of photocopies and sicced the jigsaw tornado on our living room again.

honeybee is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze honeybee is an unknown quantity at this point

The story also says 'delta' specifically. I won't be cutting up my book, but maybe I'll look for more of these instances and try for photocopies, also! I like your idea about applying the five-to-a-side line to puzzle 71. I think a lot of these things are in the CB for good reason and we just need to figure out how and where to use them.
    "...you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you."

precious1 is offline Junior Twelever +1 TwelevePlus
    Bronze
    precious1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, since I have 3 books, I will be cutting up mine! Since the 'puzzle pieces had to be cut up to form one of the lines for the poem, this would seem logical. I am going to cut up all the trees that are in boxes and see what I get. 'now where are my scissors?...... come here my little precious...this won't hurt a bit.....

foozeball2k3 is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper foozeball2k3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default I found a match, but where does that get us?

I just matched up the tree on p.76 to the top of p.86, for all you Photoshoppers out there. Rotate the tree about 135 degrees clockwise, so that the top and bottom trunk sections are pointing north-west on the page (where north is up! Also note that the middle section with the "face" is crooked.). The trick is that you need to stretch the tree before rotating it to maintain an even picture, but you cant quite tell if it fits until you rotate it. I used the undo function many times.

The two major portions that matched up are as follows:
    1. Look at p.76, just below the top left "corner" of the tree; that white space in the leaves matches up on p.86 - the HUGE leaf on the top of the page, left of the letter box, where the big tree limb crosses under the leaf - there is the same empty space on the left of this limb, against the leaf (kinda looks like a 'shroom in this pic"
    2. Look at p.76, just below the top of the tree, at the big white space that is split by a "boomerang" shape of leaves. It matches on p.86 left of the same branch as before, but further down, above the knot in the limb.

While this is a great match of parts, I have not determined the significance.
    Please make sure you can visually match what I described before you start your P'shopping, or you may spin your wheels trying line it all up.

Bon' Appetit', fellow clue-seekers!

+ Reply to Thread