+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dreamer one on ending, I cause your puzzling - Anagrams

wpglaeser is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze wpglaeser is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Dreamer one on ending, I cause your puzzling - Anagrams

Here's one possibility, since all obvious clue sources have revealed general hints, no direct locations...

"organize your prized gem clues and no ennui"

(ennui means boredom caused by a tedious task ... like solving anagrams?)

I think this one is a stretch...

Walt

Hunnytree is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Hunnytree is an unknown quantity at this point

What if the sentences are logical breaks in the anagrams simply because the whole sequence is too long for most internet anagram engines to deal with.

If you take them apart...EXCEPT for MOON LIKE MOON LIKE (say make that ONE SET)....we already know it could me LOOK IN ME. LOOK IN ME....however.....if we take those two as one set...

could come up with some other anagrams like:

MOON LIKE MOON LIKE

OK I'M ONE. LOOK IN ELM.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    then --
    DREAMER ONE ON ENDING

not sure here...got frustrated - couldn't fill in all the blanks
    but came up with a few word location possibilities - like
    NEAR ________ NE REDDING (as in CA)
    or
    _________ NE READING (as in PA)
    or
    ________GREENE ME, etc.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    and the last one

I CAUSE YOUR PUZZLING
    lol ok
    USING YOUR PIZZA CLUE

stretchy i know....but thinking a different way / seeing a different way
    is key in the story sooooooooooo
    why not
    "When you created the book, you also created us."

honeybee is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze honeybee is an unknown quantity at this point

What if this is a cryptoquote, not meant to be anagrammed? He uses a lot of them in the CB, but we haven't seen any in the book, yet. Has anyone tried this? I'm going to work on it tonight if I get time!
    "...you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you."

Hunnytree is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Hunnytree is an unknown quantity at this point

honeybee,,,,I've looked up cryptoquote, and I still do not understand just what that is...

can you help illuminate me ?
    thnx

honeybee is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze honeybee is an unknown quantity at this point

They have them in the Sunday paper a lot. Its a phrase in which each letter has been replaced with a different random letter. There is no key given and you have to figure out which letters are which to decipher the phrase. Example: 'Pook likes to eat purple thistles' could become 'Maag bcgpr wa pnw mdzmbp wqcrwbpr'. Start with the shortest words and double letters because they have limited possibilities. Move on from there to get other words, and finally the phrase. The double a is probably ee or oo because they come in pairs and are found in the middle of a word, and the second letter of the two-letter word is also a, so its probably not e. M=P a=o g=k, etc. Let me know if this helps, or if it just confused you more.
    "...you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you."

By the way, I'm having no luck with doing it like a cryptoquote, but I found the phrase 'under a noon sun' when anagramming.

So essentially it is a substitution cipher/like a Caesar cipher - and it is just up to you to figure out where to start and end....but it usually follows a straight up alpha shift. Yes? You get the cipher text, and when you figure out the substitution you can decode the plaintext. The way you explained it makes sense. Thanks.

destructo is offline Banned Aquamarine destructo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hunnytree -
    NO. It's not like a Caesar. A Caesar is a shift of two alphabets, both A-Z and in order. In a Caesar shift, all you do is ADD the same number to each letter and there are only 26 possible shifts (one of them is A=A and produces the same text as the input).

EG. Caesar(+3) =

W Y Z A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O
    A B C D E G H I J K L M N O P Q R S .....

So "BIG DOG" would be enciphered "YEC AKC" ... if you just had the enciphered bit, you would subtract 3 from each letter to get back to "BIG DOG."

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

A cryptoquote is a complete jumble of the alphabet, where the alphabet isn't shifted over the source, it's entirely jumbled. Once the top alphabet is jumbled, that's it, so if X becomes A and L becomes B, those relationships are set.

X L Q C A
    A B C D E .. ... ...

Notice that the top alphabet is not in order. This means that there are
    26*25*24*23*22*21*20*19*18*17*.......*4*3*2*1

That's many many many more than a Caeser Cipher.

*=*=*=*

Poly alphabet ciphers like the Vignere... don't have the locked relationship like the Caesar or the Cryptoquote.... in a Vignere, an X might represent a P the first time you see it, and an L the second, a Q the third an X the fourth... etc....

That's why they are so hard to crack... there are 26*26*26*... for the entire length of the message possible ways to encrypt them.

So, for a message of length 3, there are:

26 ways to encrypt it with a Caesar cipher.
    26*25*24 ways to encrypt it with a Cryptoquote
    26*26*26 ways to encrypt it with a Vignere

Great explanation destructo. I've seen all three on various websites, but NOW I feel like I could tell someone else the difference. Also seen those olde decoder rings that jumble the alphabet on an outer ring and use a numeric sequence on inner ring that spins. Shoot, I think I had one of those when I was a kid.

deboriole is offline Twelever Silver deboriole is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt this is a cryptoquote ... most cryptoquotes are gibberish and this one is an actual poem/sentence.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast