+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Look in Me ..Look in Me

mackadoo is offline Junior Twelever +1 Silver mackadoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I think what they are doing is holding the book up to the light and seeing what shines through the paper from the other side. I like the idea, but as a graphic designer who has worked with print jobs, etc. I get a headache just thinking about how hard it would be to set up the pages *just right* so that the perfect little letter showed through just right. If the paper feed, when printing the reverse side, was off by just a millimeter it could throw off the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the idea. I'm just saying that if this is what he did, I give him and the printing company kudos for being able to pull that off. He has put a lot of attention to detail though so, I wouldn't put it past him.

just rambling...
    Calgon, take me away! To the jewels preferably!

dino74 is offline Needs to say Hello! dino74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Look in Me ..Look in Me

I hope I am sending this quote from gunwraith correctly. Not sure if this is the order that he got the letters in, but when I plugged them into the 5X5 and then used the mushrooms on p. 100 (the pairs of dots being XY coordinates on the grid), that's how I got the cypher text (I guess you would call it) and using the Cryptogram helper, it came up with PINNOCHIO BUSTER. Now, if these letters he mentioned being in the knotholes are in a different order in the book, it may be a different solution, but it is too weird to come up with this, if not! Still, don't know where to go with it at this time, though! Maybe gunwraith (if he is reading this) can let us know what order they were located in the knotholes. Thanks![/quote]

Pinnochio buster = belly buster ( I almost got caught surfing this site at work) I feel like we're all a bunch of dogs chasing our own tales, anything will help at this point though, because I'm "LED DUMPS IN NET!" = LINDEN STUMPED! sorry about that, I've been anagaming in my sllep lately!

icemanjs5 is offline Junior Twelever Copper icemanjs5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you try taking the 25 letters and pairing them up? That would lead to 12 state abbreviations. I wonder if it works out perfectly that way? There's one extra letter i suppose. But I'm seeing in there, NY, FL, ME, DE, etc.
    Good Luck all

firespirit is offline Needs to say Hello! firespirit is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by mackadoo
    I think what they are doing is holding the book up to the light and seeing what shines through the paper from the other side. I like the idea, but as a graphic designer who has worked with print jobs, etc. I get a headache just thinking about how hard it would be to set up the pages *just right* so that the perfect little letter showed through just right. If the paper feed, when printing the reverse side, was off by just a millimeter it could throw off the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the idea. I'm just saying that if this is what he did, I give him and the printing company kudos for being able to pull that off. He has put a lot of attention to detail though so, I wouldn't put it past him.

just rambling...
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think of this. I've measured some of the pages and the margins do not always line up. One piece of paper being just a little off will mess up how ever many pages are printed on it. Plus there is cutting and binding the books. I somehow really doubt that he would leave clues like this that might be unattainable to some people due to luck of the draw.

gunwraith is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper gunwraith is an unknown quantity at this point

the order i found them from front to back

ATGRANONFULLYEMYTWERENAND

BUT SOME WERE QUESTIONABLE TO BEING HALF IN THE WHOLE

could anagram to something like "dragonfly tree at Amuwe Ln, NY"

perhaps there are other "up to the light" puzzles like the dandilion seeds or fairies pointing???
    i need the jewels

Hunting4Treasure is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Amethyst
    Hunting4Treasure is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Look in Me ..Look in Me

Quote Originally Posted by charmlady
    I hope I am sending this quote from gunwraith correctly. Not sure if this is the order that he got the letters in, but when I plugged them into the 5X5 and then used the mushrooms on p. 100 (the pairs of dots being XY coordinates on the grid), that's how I got the cypher text (I guess you would call it) and using the Cryptogram helper, it came up with PINNOCHIO BUSTER. Now, if these letters he mentioned being in the knotholes are in a different order in the book, it may be a different solution, but it is too weird to come up with this, if not! Still, don't know where to go with it at this time, though! Maybe gunwraith (if he is reading this) can let us know what order they were located in the knotholes. Thanks!
    The *Blue Fairy* turned Pinocchio into a real boy (he was made of *wood*).
    Thinking out loud, while browsing the thesaurus:

One of 13 entries found for buster.
    Main Entry: man
    Part of Speech: noun
    Definition: male
    Synonyms: ape, beau, beefcake, blade, bloke, boy, boyfriend, bub, buster, butch, cat, chap, daddy, dude, fellow, gent, gentleman, guy, he, hunk, husband, jock, lord, lover, macho, master, mister, old man, papa, partner, pops, sir, spouse, stud, swain, wolf
    Source: Roget's New Millenniumâ„¢ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)
    Copyright © 2005 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

At first I thought 'Jiminy Cricket' (our Grasshopper/Katydid's cousin) fit a lot of those words, but most of them seem to lean towards Geppetto, who carved (like Zac) Pinocchio... Then there's the *wolf*, who tried to lead poor Pinnochio astray... Oh, and someone mentioned *whales* earlier, and Pinocchio saved Geppetto, who was swallowed up by a whale (like Ishmael?).

After all that, I noticed you spelled *Pinocchio* wrong... Might that matter? I don't know what to think of this, but it's interesting!

When you wish upon a star, great minds tend to wander far...
    _/\_
    \AG/
    // \\ Week 11
    PerplexCity Cards I Have/Need - Updated Oct 25
    "We do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our grandchildren."

maximusthedog is offline Needs to say Hello! maximusthedog is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the 25 letters approach, so what was the order?
    Let's try it out, I have a few possible keys, but no grid, aw hell I'll just look myself.

maximusthedog

hippodude is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze hippodude is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by maximusthedog
    I like the 25 letters approach, so what was the order?
    Let's try it out, I have a few possible keys, but no grid, aw hell I'll just look myself.

maximusthedog
    dude did you even READ the thread?!?!

if you would look two posts before your post, you will find the answer to your own question. jeeeeez, some people!!! honestly!

gunwraith is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper gunwraith is an unknown quantity at this point

note: the light see through possability has been debunked.

i own 3 books and none of the letters matched up due to slight printing differances.

sorry for the red herring.
    i need the jewels

mackadoo is offline Junior Twelever +1 Silver mackadoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by gunwraith
    note: the light see through possability has been debunked.

i own 3 books and none of the letters matched up due to slight printing differances.

sorry for the red herring.
    Thank you for verifying this. I had a feeling that would be slightly next to impossible to accomplish. It would have been neat though!
    Calgon, take me away! To the jewels preferably!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast