+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MOONLIKE offset reveals a location

FoxFire is offline Junior Twelever Bronze FoxFire is an unknown quantity at this point

Why did you start with the 3rd "O" instead if the 1st "O" in the sequence? And how did you pick 18? Was that also trial and error?

12pm is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Sapphire
    12pm will become famous soon enough

Foxfire, I actually used all possible numbers as well as 18. (There are as many possibilities as there are letters in MOONLIKE...PUZZLING minus 1.)

18 just happened to spell out something that made sense.

I also tried both Zs, every E, all 3 Rs and nearly every O as starting letters. I used those letters because I was interested in spelling out "binary" code, which is to say ZERO and ONE in different combinations. Once I got something that made some sense I started noodling the other letters into place.

I've also tried many combinations of I and O as the starting point for the same reason. It's pretty interesting to me that you can also create a line of all Os while simultaneously creating two different offset lines composed just of Os and Is. That's pretty unusual for English text. And it looks exactly like binary code.

There are other starting combinations that yield semi-plausible offsets, by the way.

GARDEN can be offset as OZONES.

And YOU GO AROUND can be offset as OAKLAND KNUN. (KNUN is unfortunately an airport code near Pennsacola, FL, which is a little contradictory.)

The reason I was doing this in the first place is because the "ONE ON" phrase feels so odd that I wondered if those letters had been forced into place by the need to spell something somewhere else. I still believe that's the case, but maybe not by using this same offset method.

FoxFire is offline Junior Twelever Bronze FoxFire is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting. If the numbers you used to determine the offset could be extracted from the book in a non-contrived manner (along with onezerozero) then that would definitely be grounds for jumping on a plane. As it stands getting "NEELEY PLACE" could just be a coincidence. I don't think MS intended us to try random offsets/keys to solve his puzzles. He must point to the keys in some form or fashion. When doing anagrams and the like it may be useful to look for common street suffixes such as PLACE, ROAD, STREET, WAY, etc.

Notice though that all of the general clues are somewhat easy to obtain, but when we try to look for specifics we run into a wall? The general stuff really is right there in front of us, but the specifics of the SANCTUARY appear to be ciphered. He really seems to hammer home the notion that the tokens lie in trees, but leaves us hanging with the location factor. I am also convinced like many others that there cannot be a single key for every token. Discovering the location of one token should not give you an advantage to finding the others (other than understanding how MS thinks).

It may be that every token can be found with the 5x5 grid but with a different cipher for each one. Though that too is problematic because if you discover how one works then you can just go through the list of ciphers until you figure out each one.

Guyra42 is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper Guyra42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless, heaven forbid, he's made up a cipher or 12 heh is that even possible? I know little to none about ciphers, still workin through the logistics and workings of them. With that in mind thank you so much caterpillar, your explanations of the one you used have helped me kinda figure out what people are talking about sometimes (even if its just this specific one). By the way, as an off bit of information, there is an Oakland Florida...but it's kinda down by Orlando.

You know it's possible that there really is a mathematical relationship between NEELEY PLACE and the MOONLIKE poem, but MS intended us to get at it through his 5x5 grid somehow.

Btw, the Dream occurs just before Chapter "18". Coincidenc? Yeah, probably.

I pulled up a satellite photo of NEELEY PLACE and it appears to be a very rural area. There are several trees (forest like) on the other side of the highway which intersects Neeley. There are several metallic rectangular structures in the vicinity. Likely these are farm-related. I see no evidence of a park, but that doesn't prove of course there isn't one. It does look like privately owned property though.
    Try working on the clues while listening to the Myst soundtrack.

deboriole is offline Twelever Silver deboriole is an unknown quantity at this point

What if you amagrammed:

Moon like, moon like. Dreamer one on ending, I cause your puzzling.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Look in zip code 'zero one one one nine' and seize your _____ (?)

MMLIKRRGAUULGM (left over)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe someone else can do something with this.

I also found "EMERALD" "GOLD" "DIAMOND" "SNAIL" "SPIDER" "REDEEM" "CLAIM" and "DECODE"

ladyfeline is offline Junior Twelever +1 Silver ladyfeline is an unknown quantity at this point

What website would you use if you didn't actually have the numbered address or city, only the name of the street and the state?

LanceC is offline Junior Twelever Bronze LanceC is an unknown quantity at this point

http://maps.google.com

It's in beta, but it provides the coolest map interface I've seen, combined with Google's searching power.

A random search for "neeley place" has exactly one hit, but before you get excited, it's because the contents of a web page reference someone with "neeley" as a last name, and the page has an address on it that Google seems to have used as a tracking point (which is pretty cool technology, though not very helpful for this problem!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast