+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MOONLIKE offset reveals a location

12pm is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Sapphire
    12pm will become famous soon enough

Default MOONLIKE offset reveals a location

Use the entire "Moon like, moon...puzzling" string as your key string.

Allowing wraparound, spell out "ONE ZERO ZERO" (a binary code) by using the string in eleven down-reading columns as follows:

Position 1: 3rd "o" in MOONLIKEMOON...
    Position 2: 1st "n" in MOONLIKEMOON...
    Position 3: 1st "e" in MOONLIKEMOON...
    Position 4: 1st "z" in ...PUZZLING...
    Position 5: 1st "e" in MOONLIKEMOON...
    Position 6: 2nd "r" in ...DREAMER...
    Position 7: 2nd "o" in ...ONEONEND...
    Position 8: 1st "z" in ...PUZZLING...
    Position 9: 1st "e" in ...DREAMER...
    Position 10: 1st "r" in ...DREAMER...
    Position 11: 3rd "o" in MOONLIKEMOON...

(This notation is cumbersome, I know, but I couldn't get the color HTML to work for individual letters.)

Take the eighteenth offset character from all eleven start characters above.

You'll arrive at a street name. Mapquest it and you'll see there's only one in America. If there were a public park at the 100 address, I'd be headed toward the airport.

jadyz is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper jadyz is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW

what was your method? i mean, how did you arrive at this? why the eighteenth character? (also, what do you mean by offset character> do you use the whole phrase and count the letters from the starting letter? i really want to understand this )
    maybe "not hole" refers to courtney love....

Sapphire

Yeah, just count an 18th offset from the starting letters as posted. You have to let the MOONLIKE phrase wrap around in some instances.

Method? Ha! Pure trial and error. And more error.

Tried maybe 600 other offsets before hitting this one.

I can post a spoiler, but it's kind of exciting to work it out for yourself.

Sapphire

Another curiosity of using this offset method with the MOONLIKE string is that it's possible to spell out ZEROZEROZERO and arrive at two offset lines that can contain ONLY Is and Os. These represent binary code lines.

No idea what it means yet, but it's pretty striking.

Oh, and you'll know you've got it when you see the word OAK repeated, separated by the letter N.

Sapphire

And the spoiler is:

NEELEY PLACE

which is in Blountsville, TN.

If there were a public park at 100 Neeley Place, it'd be truly thrilling, and I'd be off like a shot. I'm at the point where I can accept it as coincidence, but it's pretty remarkable to use a keystring this way and come up with two lines that make sense: ONE ZERO ZERO and NEELEY PLACE.

Cat957 is offline Twelever TwelevePlus
    Gold
    Cat957 is an unknown quantity at this point

12pm, I did a search, too, and there's another "Neely Place" in Dayton, OH. School renovation contractor is on that road:

http://www.kcsproject.com/managed/oakview.html

Plumbing & HVAC
    S & D Osterfeld
    1101 Neeley Place
    Dayton, OH 45407

There also appears to be a "Neeley Place" in Houston, but it's a subdivision:

http://www.har.com/neighborhoods/sho...id=1121970001& (I did a search on the zip listed)
    "It's not what you look at that matters. It's what you see." (Henry David Thoreau)

Sapphire

Found that too, Cat, but it's a typo. The correct location for the contractor is Negley Place in Dayton. Try mapquest or google and you'll see.

Gaines is offline Junior Twelever Bronze Gaines is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish I could understand this. What is an "offset character"? I have studied this for perhaps an hour and cannot get near that address to save my life! If you have the time (and patience), could you explain it VERY SIMPLY for us simpletons? Pleez!!!! Thank you.

Sapphire

Gaines, never mind the word "offset". Just try it like this:

Write out the whole MOONLIKE...PUZZLING thing twice with no spaces and no punctuation.

Starting with the first position I mentioned in my original post (the third "o" which is this one: MOONLIKEM *O* ONLIKE) count forward 18 letters.

You should land on the letter "N".

Now start on the second position I posted. Again, count forward 18 letters. You should land on the letter "E".

Keep going until you've got the full phrase "NEELEY PLACE".

The letters you started from spell out "ONE ZERO ZERO."

See? Easy.

Gaines is offline Junior Twelever Bronze Gaines is an unknown quantity at this point

12pm,
    Thank you, thank you! I see it now. I spent some time on the internet trying to understand binary codes, but it was just impossible. Your final explanation did the trick! It is amazing to me that anyone could come up with something like that. Wow! "A Treasure's Trove" has really opened up a new world for a 43 year old housewife!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast