+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Letter 'H'

Ladybug is offline Junior Twelever Bronze Ladybug is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: The Letter 'H'

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    Does anyone else find it odd that MS was able to write an entire story without using the letter 'Q', but there is one paragraph in The Dream that has over 40 occurences of the letter 'H'?

I think he chose his words very carefully through the entire text. This can't be a coincidence.

Has anyone else noticed an over-abundence of letters in other areas?

My first post!
    THIS MAY SOUND A LITTLE SILLY BUT I THINK THE "Q" LOOKS LIKE THE BACK OF POOK.
    I found my Treasure, now YOU find yours.

gomer is offline Needs to say Hello! gomer is an unknown quantity at this point

Default How about the hyphens??

Hi all,

Have you noticed the amazing use of hyphens?

debz is offline Good Twelever Gold debz is an unknown quantity at this point

Default HA HA HO HO HE HE.....

The word (He) appears approx. 250 times in the book. That is amazing. I think there is something more to it, and will post if I get anything useful.

On the lighter side of this, I was telling my hubby about the one paragraph in The Dream that has over 44 uses of H, and the amount of times that He was used in the book.

He turned to me and said "He He"... "That's what MS is saying to all of you puzzlers, and I'm sure the sequel book will devote a chapter to HA HA, and by Christmas he will publish book #3 titled..... you got it..... HO HO HO.

I was NOT amused!!!

But maybe They ARE coming To Take me AWAY ... ho ho.. haa haaaa heeeeeee heeeeeeee!!
    The only token I found was SQUAT!!!
    http://www.tweleve.org/upload/squat_token.jpg

sa6race is offline Junior Twelever Bronze sa6race is an unknown quantity at this point

Gomer: See these two threads re: hyphens and dashes:

http://www.tweleve.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1247

http://www.tweleve.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424

I still think they are important but I can't figure out how to use them.

gomer is offline Needs to say Hello! gomer is an unknown quantity at this point

Default to sa6race

Thanks for the links on hyphens. I hadn't seen them before. However, you can go brain numb looking at this stuff at three in the morning!

Dave

sa6race is offline Junior Twelever Bronze sa6race is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that the alliteration angle deserves some more attention. I agree with jlboone that it is a common literary device but it would also be an extremely efficient, even easy way to hide letters/code in the text. I think this is a logical place to look, not only because the book is about pairs, but also because of the repeated T's in the title- treasure's trove. I have found repeated letters on every text page except 20, 55, 59, and 68. There are also a lot of prominent alliterative phrases in the book- dark dust, flower fairy, old oak, talking trees, rusful's return, spoke shave, uff uff. Another interesting alliteration fact- the quote on page 31 contains the alliterative phrase "he had." But the quote in the book on page 30 omits the word "had" so there is no repeated letter. Why?? Maybe the word "had" messed up the alliteration code and he took it out of the text but forgot to take it out of the quote on the picture? Maybe he left that discrepancy in to draw attention to the repeated first letters? Who knows. One more interesting thing. I think the page with the most repeated first letters in the first page of the foreward (p. 10). This page features 13 double (and triple) repeated first letter sets: s,v,t,h,t,a,t,a,h,a,p,n,h. Other pages also have some weird patterns- p. 96 has 7 sets of repeated words that start with "s."

Debz- the repeated use of the word "he" also produces a ton of alliteration on p. 84 and 85. There are 9 sets of repeated words that start with "h" on these two pages. Some of these include a "he," others (happy home, hard headedness) do not. There are other pages with multiple repeated h's (like 79 and 91) but 84 and 85 seem to have the most repeated h's.

Like most of my other suspicions, I don't know where to go with this. Maybe if we look at the repeated letters in the pages between two hidden bugs, they will spell out a message about that bug? Maybe there is something significant about the repeated letters in the three chapters (5, 13, and 14) that have repeated letters in their titles? If the repeated letters are being used to spell out a message, then we will probably need an "e" because I think it is the most common vowel. I found repeated e's on only four pages- 23, 27, 56, and 63. Anybody else think this has any potential?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2