+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Letter 'H'

hobbes is offline Needs to say Hello! hobbes is an unknown quantity at this point

Default The Letter 'H'

Does anyone else find it odd that MS was able to write an entire story without using the letter 'Q', but there is one paragraph in The Dream that has over 40 occurences of the letter 'H'?

I think he chose his words very carefully through the entire text. This can't be a coincidence.

Has anyone else noticed an over-abundence of letters in other areas?

My first post!

Leekel is offline Junior Twelever Copper Leekel is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting. Have you found any other paragraphs in any other chapters with that many h's? Oh and the dream starts with an H!

Hunnytree is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Hunnytree is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep. I counted 44. Probably missed some, too. That was an awkward paragraph the FIRST time I read it.
    "When you created the book, you also created us."

hobbes is offline Needs to say Hello! hobbes is an unknown quantity at this point

This only occured to me as something that might be important because of the one puzzle in the companion book that asks us to count the occurences of the letter 'f' in a sentence.

If a paragraph or section seems to contain an inordinate repetitions of a particular letter, that may translate into some usable numbers for a cipher or 5x5 box based on their placement in the text.

Another section that drew my attention was the one where Zac and Pook return home to find Ana missing...there seem to be a lot of 'B's on that page.

shamrock is offline Junior Twelever Bronze shamrock is an unknown quantity at this point

Not only does The Dream start with an "H", but it's a lower case "h". Pretty strange considering it's the beginning of a new sentence AND paragraph.

Cat957 is offline Twelever TwelevePlus
    Gold
    Cat957 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that "H" is just the kind of font that it is. It's the same throughout the book.

I puzzled over it, till I noticed that it was on 31, 36, 73, etc.
    "It's not what you look at that matters. It's what you see." (Henry David Thoreau)

cabunk is offline Good Twelever Platinum cabunk is an unknown quantity at this point

That was my thought too, Cat.

Milou is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze Milou is an unknown quantity at this point

I also noticed that page 50 has a lot of "z":s... If we only knew how to use them. Ideas anyone?

jlboone is offline Needs to say Hello! jlboone is an unknown quantity at this point

It may mean nothing. Alliteration- a succession of words with the same first letter- is a common literary device, especially in childrens books.

ChptleLvr is offline Twelever Silver ChptleLvr is an unknown quantity at this point

Like "Pook's pokey pace" on page 16.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

~ Samuel Johnson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast