+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The box- is it Rusful's?

sa6race is offline Junior Twelever Bronze sa6race is an unknown quantity at this point

Default The box- is it Rusful's?

I know there has been a lot of discussion about the box on p. 87 so I hope I am not duplicating earlier posts. (I did a search but I did not see anything like this so here goes.) Zac found the box open in front of the grotto after the fairies trashed all of Rusful's stuff. So are we to believe that the box used to hold something that belonged to Rusful? Maybe this means that the box needs to be filled with things that belong to an apothecary/alchemist?? My first thought was the periodic table but there was a periodic table diversion in Masquerade and I do not belive that MS would repeat any of the Masquerade puzzles. So what else does an apothecary need that would be kept in a box with five smaller boxes on each side? (Yes I know the intro. says you do not need any special knowledge to solve the puzzle but maybe there are some aspects of an alchemists work that are common knowledge and/or easily discovered.)

mmmwtt is offline Needs to say Hello! mmmwtt is an unknown quantity at this point

During my years as a pharmacy student, I came across two things that might apply (though I don't know how they'd fit in the story). One item being a pill box holding pills for days of the week, and the second being the little box that held my apothecary weights for my scales.

sa6race is offline Junior Twelever Bronze sa6race is an unknown quantity at this point

That is very interesting. I was looking at apothecary weights on line and it looks like they historically consisted of five units of measurement- grain, scruple, dram, ounce, and pound. It really seems like a strech but maybe there is something there- particularly because the book has such detailed descriptions of the weights of the jewels. And I found convertors online that convert from grain or scruple to carat. The only other possible connection I can think of is the "grains" of salt on p. 41. I don't see any other hidden messages about weighing or balancing.

+ Reply to Thread