+ Reply to Thread

Thread: near a statue?

tokentaker is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper tokentaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Default near a statue?

pg 92....Pook's face was frozen...."timid in life he would look forever brave in death." Sounds like a statue of someone....but who???

jr
    jr is offline Junior Twelever Copper jr is an unknown quantity at this point

nodon is offline Good Twelever TwelevePlus
    Gold
    nodon will become famous soon enough

there was quite a write-up concerning that statue in another post. Actually had a penny in her hand (speculated to be left behind to indicate a token was there).

JenBoBo is offline Junior Twelever Bronze JenBoBo is an unknown quantity at this point

That was my obscenely long post about the Amelia Earhart statue in Kansas. It's under the Page 41 list of threads. Got lots of mixed responses on my theory... I'm taking a break from the book right now (but still check tweleve.org each day) because it was taking over my life.

Also, if we're using the line about describing Pook to find a statue, being timid in life doesn't really describe Earhart, I don't think... she seemed extremely brave to me, especially after I learned more about her and her life (while obsessively looking for the token). Just a thought. I do agree that that statement is important, though...

tokentaker is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper tokentaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Default still thinking

i'm racking my brain trying to come up with someone that has a statue of someone that was shy or timid. Not too many come to mind. Back to the book I suppose

JenBoBo is offline Junior Twelever Bronze JenBoBo is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm thinking, if we continue this line of thought, someone who was unexpectedly a hero... 'unexpectedly' meaning that others wouldn't have expected this person to act this way because he/she was so shy, unassuming, quiet, timid, etc., and the statue has captured them in their moment of glory. ???

Default hero

I've been thinking that same thing. I've been checking kid's history websites because those have more basic info. So far, nothing.

agrauer is offline Needs to say Hello! agrauer is an unknown quantity at this point

Default hero

"Actually had a penny in her hand (speculated to be left behind to indicate a token was there)."

"I'm thinking, if we continue this line of thought, someone who was unexpectedly a hero... 'unexpectedly' meaning that others wouldn't have expected this person to act this way because he/she was so shy, unassuming, quiet, timid, etc., and the statue has captured them in their moment of glory. ???"

New to the forum, don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but the above conversation immediately brought a statue to my mind: Jenny Wade, the only civilian casualty at the Battle of Gettysburg. Her grave features a marble likeness of her with one hand covered, one shown. You'll often see the site strewn with pennies left by visitors in remembrance of this young Gettysburg woman who died too young. She is also sometimes remembered as the "Heroine of Gettysburg" for the succor she provided to Union Soldiers. I think there is another statue of her outside her house, showing her distributing bread.

Drew
    Drew

lecia1212 is offline Twelever Silver lecia1212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default timid

I did a search on Helen Keller. There is a museum dedicated to her in Alabama. She started out timid, but turned out to be an extremely strong and intelligent woman. Worth a look-at.
    The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Default good thoughts

Good thoughts. I was thinking along lines like that too but then I double checked and Pook is a male. Don't know if that matters.

+ Reply to Thread