+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 114

Thread: Chapter 9: Captain Kidd

  1. #61
    merelyviral is offline Junior Twelever Bronze merelyviral is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    okay, I'll elaborate on my hint.

    For now, completely forget about what you're trying to solve, forget this book even exists. Now assume that you were given a bunch of letters that represent an encrypted message, and suppose you KNEW what the first 10-15 letters were supposed to be after decrypting... how would you go about figuring out what cipher was used? which ciphers would you try? If there is a key involved, how would you work backwards to determine which key was used? Maybe make a list of the first 5 ciphers you would try.

    Now, we have a situation with numbers and letters... I suggest, as a first step, changing everything to letters or everything to numbers and then proceeding. Now go back to that list that you made.

  2. #62
    ao934 is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper ao934 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Hallo merelyviral,

    a little Ch9/Q1 help please!! (A) The phrase I found by decoding the numbers, is it only a hint or exact these 20 letters I need for an......ing! (B) Any hint for the meaning of these three more words I need for my logbook (poets life, part of the poem, nouns and verbs...), cause I'm no native speaker.

    Greetings from Austria

  3. #63
    HailQueen is offline Junior Twelever Copper HailQueen is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by merelyviral View Post
    So we have ciphertext consisting of numbers, and the plaintext "answer" consisting of letters (ignore the table). We don't know many ciphers that translate letters <-> numbers, so my hint is: there's a preliminary step to do before figuring out which cipher was used
    Hello Merelyviral

    I am new to this forum and the book and just found this great forum. Thank you for helping, but I am still totally stuck on the numbers. Can I really absolutely "ignore the table"?

    best regards

    HailQueen

  4. #64
    merelyviral is offline Junior Twelever Bronze merelyviral is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    keep an......ing! it's a person

    Quote Originally Posted by ao934 View Post
    Hallo merelyviral,

    a little Ch9/Q1 help please!! (A) The phrase I found by decoding the numbers, is it only a hint or exact these 20 letters I need for an......ing! (B) Any hint for the meaning of these three more words I need for my logbook (poets life, part of the poem, nouns and verbs...), cause I'm no native speaker.

    Greetings from Austria

  5. #65
    ao934 is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper ao934 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Thank you again!

  6. #66
    Huntresscanuc is offline Needs to say Hello! Huntresscanuc is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by merelyviral View Post
    keep an......ing! it's a person

    Quote Originally Posted by ao934 View Post
    Hallo merelyviral,

    a little Ch9/Q1 help please!! (A) The phrase I found by decoding the numbers, is it only a hint or exact these 20 letters I need for an......ing! (B) Any hint for the meaning of these three more words I need for my logbook (poets life, part of the poem, nouns and verbs...), cause I'm no native speaker.

    Greetings from Austria
    oh my im so frustrated, this is not obvious to me, though the hints are there im still stuck in the numbers...i dont know how to associate the numbers to the last part of the poem...Please, can anyone spare my tortured soul and give me a good hint as to how to deal with these numbers?, I tried guessing, i tried counting letters, i tried everything... What am i missing?
    Thanks

  7. #67
    merelyviral is offline Junior Twelever Bronze merelyviral is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    oh my im so frustrated, this is not obvious to me, though the hints are there im still stuck in the numbers...i dont know how to associate the numbers to the last part of the poem...Please, can anyone spare my tortured soul and give me a good hint as to how to deal with these numbers?, I tried guessing, i tried counting letters, i tried everything... What am i missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by merelyviral View Post
    I suggest, as a first step, changing everything to letters or everything to numbers and then proceeding.
    convert the last part of the poem into numbers
    A funeral can be real fun if you mix it up a bit

  8. #68
    Huntresscanuc is offline Needs to say Hello! Huntresscanuc is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Any clue as to what or where i can find the "inspiration" to solve the part after the numbers?

  9. #69
    Huntresscanuc is offline Needs to say Hello! Huntresscanuc is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stvwz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bass021 View Post
    I'm curious - for those who figured out the final password that unlocks question 1, was there anyone who didn't guess the password, but was able to crack the number system/cipherand then figure out the password from there?

    It seems like everyone who posted that they figured out the password actually guessed it and then backtracked to work out the code.

    Thx,
    Steve
    Deciphered all (some painful), and came up with the letters to solve the password, just needed a nudge to limit the endless possibilities on the last half.

    well i have joined the ranks, im past the numbers, but im afraid i too need a little nudge as to what to do next...where is the "inspiration"?

  10. #70
    bass021's Avatar
    bass021 is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Amethyst
    bass021 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntresscanuc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stvwz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bass021 View Post
    I'm curious - for those who figured out the final password that unlocks question 1, was there anyone who didn't guess the password, but was able to crack the number system/cipherand then figure out the password from there?

    It seems like everyone who posted that they figured out the password actually guessed it and then backtracked to work out the code.

    Thx,
    Steve
    Deciphered all (some painful), and came up with the letters to solve the password, just needed a nudge to limit the endless possibilities on the last half.

    well i have joined the ranks, im past the numbers, but im afraid i too need a little nudge as to what to do next...where is the "inspiration"?
    The inspiration comes not from a Longfellow poem, but from history books.
    Steve (O.A.T.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts