+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 158 FirstFirst ... 8 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 108 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 1577

Thread: CHAPTER 4 - discussion and clues

  1. #571
    Lobster's Avatar
    Lobster is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Lobster is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guttom2 View Post
    I think Chapter 4 is going to be solved very soon.
    Yep.

  2. #572
    Rx Jeff's Avatar
    Rx Jeff is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Rx Jeff is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    965

    Default

    I am still miffed at the clue stating "the answer is easier than you think."
    Is that supposed to have us key in on a portion of the text?

  3. #573
    guttom2 is offline Good Twelever Gold guttom2 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rx Jeff View Post
    I am still miffed at the clue stating "the answer is easier than you think."
    Is that supposed to have us key in on a portion of the text?
    I think easier is a relative term. I hope they check submissions before the holiday!

  4. #574
    guttom2 is offline Good Twelever Gold guttom2 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    527

    Default

    the question you need to ask yourself is why Ron revealed key 18? Why not the 1st. or 2nd. or 3rd.

    also why give three possibilities for key 18?

    I think giving key 18 and not giving any of the first keys was done for good reason

  5. #575
    Rx Jeff's Avatar
    Rx Jeff is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Rx Jeff is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    965

    Default

    The key to this solution is remembering the golden rule for solving any chapter in that "the first is equal to the last." If you have a pretty good idea what the last key is based on the clues, then you should be able to figure out what the first key should. chapter four started with the letter M and ends with the letter N. Can you think of any substitution cipher that would make those two letters equal?

  6. #576
    Rx Jeff's Avatar
    Rx Jeff is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Rx Jeff is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    965

    Default

    There is so little discussion on the this puzzle that it makes me concerned about future chapters. And where is Doc?

  7. #577
    dawnplayer8 is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze dawnplayer8 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rx Jeff View Post
    The key to this solution is remembering the golden rule for solving any chapter in that "the first is equal to the last." If you have a pretty good idea what the last key is based on the clues, then you should be able to figure out what the first key should. chapter four started with the letter M and ends with the letter N. Can you think of any substitution cipher that would make those two letters equal?
    It could also be argued that the text begins with the letter M and ends with a letter L (not using the poem at the end of the chapter). That would be a shift +12. Good eye, I hadn't caught that.

  8. #578
    Rx Jeff's Avatar
    Rx Jeff is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Rx Jeff is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    965

    Default

    I believe you must include everything leading up to the first question so I am still banking on M and N. Plus in earlier chapters he hinted at bacon cipher for two and caesar for three so atbash fits perfect as a substitution cipher to use in chapter four.

  9. #579
    Lobster's Avatar
    Lobster is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Lobster is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rx Jeff View Post
    I believe you must include everything leading up to the first question so I am still banking on M and N. Plus in earlier chapters he hinted at bacon cipher for two and caesar for three so atbash fits perfect as a substitution cipher to use in chapter four.
    Are you able to reconcile this with the idea that Atbash uses only 20 letters (F through Z) and we have numerous FB clues that imply we need to use A through Z? Atbash uses "LZY OX", not "LAZY FOX" Over the months I have tried atbash among a few other ciphers in my solutions, but I have had a very hard time making the FB clues accurately describe anything.

  10. #580
    Lobster's Avatar
    Lobster is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Lobster is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
    Are you able to reconcile this with the idea that Atbash uses only 20 letters (F through Z) and we have numerous FB clues that imply we need to use A through Z? Atbash uses "LZY OX", not "LAZY FOX" Over the months I have tried atbash among a few other ciphers in my solutions, but I have had a very hard time making the FB clues accurately describe anything.
    err sorry, G through Z. Not F through G. Atbash maps only 20 valid keys. A=1,B=2 maps only 20 valid keys. Neither of those ciphers therefore match clues mapping keys A,B,C...,X,Y,Z.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 158 FirstFirst ... 8 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 108 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts