+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 158

Thread: Reverse Engineering the Solution

  1. #21
    gizmo2337 is offline Good Twelever Gold gizmo2337 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saanichton
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Ok, I'm going to give this a proper try to "doing it without facebook clues". I might even be able to convince you part way. So, I'm going to use chapter 4 as my sample. Let's start with the solution.

    Code:
    03-08-01-20-02-12-05-19-13-09 
    14-10-04-06-07-15-11-17-18-16
    CHATBLESMI 
    NJDFGOKQRP
    Where do we start? How about the book summary for the chapter?

    "The “Dutchman” — or person of German descent — in QUESTION appears to have"

    To further back this up, remember that C4Q20 had a playfair cipher that needed to be adjusted. It had to substitute "Q" to get the answer.


    So, how do we link a few keys. Let's take Q4 and Q6. As you can see above, they are next to each other, but what's the relation? Anagram (camels)=mescal: a liquor. If you google Saguaro, you'll note that Saguaro fruit is fermented by the natives.

    How about Q19 and Q5? The ford theatre was were Abraham Lincoln was shot. He also appears on a US 5 dollar bill.

    Next, Q15 and Q11. The arago in Q11 is the rose line. The book in Q15 has lines. They are related and next to each other in the sequence.

    Interestingly, the USS arizona (BB-39) contains the first and last key for alpha. Coincidence?

    Q3 and Q14. Q3 has an answer of colorado, but could be short for color. The other color is in Q14. Coincidence that these are the start for alpha and omega?

    I think some of the items to look for may be in latin, as hinted at in Q8. For example, turquoise in latin is CALLAINA, which could perhaps tie together the USS Arizona and Panama CANAL. I'm a little uncertain on that one though.

    The book in Q15 is 5x5, which is 25. The end of alpha and omega add up to this number. Coincidence...perhaps. The fact we are using that number in C5 again? Probably not coincidence.

    What else can we find? Anybody else see the connections. We wouldn't know where they go in the sequence, just two related items. Once you find the missing one though, you get a sequence. And once you have the whole sequence, you just use the beginning=end to figure out the final placement. It's also possible that with enough of a sequence you could figure it out from the book text or cipher (discover the cipher).

  2. #22
    gizmo2337 is offline Good Twelever Gold gizmo2337 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saanichton
    Posts
    527

    Default

    I forgot one of the most important ones. Q10 - Mona Lisa. It anagrams to "Malison": A curse. Note that Q10 itself contains the word "anagram" so this has to be correct. I also believe (if the answer to the chapter is ALSO in the text), this may play a big part of where to look.

  3. #23
    Lobster's Avatar
    Lobster is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Lobster is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo2337 View Post
    I forgot one of the most important ones. Q10 - Mona Lisa. It anagrams to "Malison": A curse. Note that Q10 itself contains the word "anagram" so this has to be correct. I also believe (if the answer to the chapter is ALSO in the text), this may play a big part of where to look.
    I agree with a couple of your finds, disagree with others.

    Here's an easy one:

    "[Email Clue 10] 10. Q8 Code Talker"

    Relationship "code talker" to Q8, to omega (10 was the last email clue). Also 10 keys here.

  4. #24
    gizmo2337 is offline Good Twelever Gold gizmo2337 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saanichton
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Email clue? Where did you get that?

  5. #25
    Lobster's Avatar
    Lobster is offline Good Twelever Aquamarine Lobster is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo2337 View Post
    Email clue? Where did you get that?
    Got them about 19 years ago it seems.

    https://www.greathunt.com/?action=cf...new&formid=767

  6. #26
    gizmo2337 is offline Good Twelever Gold gizmo2337 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saanichton
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Some of the number questions and sudoku's don't really fit yet. I don't think we've been taught how to do that yet, and will learn in a future chapter. I also noted that although Q14 is used for alpha, it actually appears in Omega. Same thing for Q8. It appears in Alpha, but is used for Omega.

  7. #27
    kazoo's Avatar
    kazoo is offline Junior Twelever Bronze kazoo is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo2337 View Post
    Where do we start? How about the book summary for the chapter?

    "The “Dutchman” — or person of German descent — in QUESTION appears to have"


    I posted about this clue too... although not as explicit. I posted about CH3's summary clue too... "extracted by labour and Capital-intensive means" which told us to use capital letters.


    My personal feeling is that there is not a mechanism to generating the chapter sequences, just clues about what text to use and where to look. Maybe there is a mechanism for the gold eagle.


    For CH4, the empty Sudoku patterns point to Q8 because they are figure 8's and did anyone figure out the picture clue... try overlaying the picture onto the first question page... see anything that connects Q14 and Q8?... maybe something 'between subtle shading and the absence of light' like a shadow!

  8. #28
    gizmo2337 is offline Good Twelever Gold gizmo2337 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saanichton
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kazoo View Post
    My personal feeling is that there is not a mechanism to generating the chapter sequences, just clues about what text to use and where to look. Maybe there is a mechanism for the gold eagle.


    For CH4, the empty Sudoku patterns point to Q8 because they are figure 8's and did anyone figure out the picture clue... try overlaying the picture onto the first question page... see anything that connects Q14 and Q8?... maybe something 'between subtle shading and the absence of light' like a shadow!
    Nice catch on the picture, I hadn't thought about using that yet. Let's not forget the II or optic cross either.

    After some more poking at the answer for C4...what if each key can be related to "3" other keys. The two on either side of the key in question, plus the one above or below? I'm not saying you'd solve the puzzle this way, but surely a sequence of 3 or 4 numbers would really help in tracking down where to start, especially if you had the beginning.

  9. #29
    kazoo's Avatar
    kazoo is offline Junior Twelever Bronze kazoo is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    81

    Default

    The problem I have with related key theories is that so far all sequences have been taken from text in the book and I don't see any weird wording used to manipulate the occurance of the order of the letters. I think the order is what it is and we are given clues after the fact that might help us find the first one(s), missing ones or string a few together.

    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that CH1 summary has the starting point for CH1 omega "a few minutes later..."

  10. #30
    gizmo2337 is offline Good Twelever Gold gizmo2337 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saanichton
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kazoo View Post
    The problem I have with related key theories is that so far all sequences have been taken from text in the book and I don't see any weird wording used to manipulate the occurance of the order of the letters. I think the order is what it is and we are given clues after the fact that might help us find the first one(s), missing ones or string a few together.

    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that CH1 summary has the starting point for CH1 omega "a few minutes later..."
    Agreed, we get the answer from the text. I'm just wondering if the keys being related as well. Are we being trained via clues to do more without the clues....weaning us off the clues? Think back to the early II clue "My job is to teach you how to do the treasure hunt". I suppose I am saying this, because I see it even more in the current chapter, I'm just not going to discuss that at the moment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts