+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 594

Thread: Tormentum

  1. #491
    Shrike's Avatar
    Shrike is offline Junior Twelever Copper Shrike is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35

    Default

    given that E is the most common vowel in the english language, and + appears the most often, im going to correlate the two. It's probably for the best that our opinions differ though, as it means were testing twice as many possibilities than if we agreed XD

    either way, there's something bugging me: that upside-down, mirrored R down near the bottom-left corner of the message. It's the only one of its kind. And i could just attribute it to being a Z or a Q or some other uncommon letter, but there is no such letter in the Z340 cipher. or, for that matter, ANY of the Zodiac ciphers. There are easily more than 26 characters in the Z340 cipher, so he couldn't have made it up to stand for a letter that doesn't exist in the original cipher because it wasn't used(also given the fact that nobody knows which letters are or aren't used because Z340 isn't solved yet XP)

    has anyone discussed this yet? does anyone have any clue? cause it's striking me as seriously off...
    {Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man}

  2. #492
    BCIB's Avatar
    BCIB is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze BCIB is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Britain
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shrike View Post
    given that E is the most common vowel in the english language, and + appears the most often, im going to correlate the two. It's probably for the best that our opinions differ though, as it means were testing twice as many possibilities than if we agreed XD

    either way, there's something bugging me: that upside-down, mirrored R down near the bottom-left corner of the message. It's the only one of its kind. And i could just attribute it to being a Z or a Q or some other uncommon letter, but there is no such letter in the Z340 cipher. or, for that matter, ANY of the Zodiac ciphers. There are easily more than 26 characters in the Z340 cipher, so he couldn't have made it up to stand for a letter that doesn't exist in the original cipher because it wasn't used(also given the fact that nobody knows which letters are or aren't used because Z340 isn't solved yet XP)

    has anyone discussed this yet? does anyone have any clue? cause it's striking me as seriously off...
    Just thought I'd mention this, to clear up any confusion, but SYT's looked like W.B.Tylers homophonic but did not use the same key.

    "I didn't change anything other than the way the letters were laid out"

    The quote isn't exact but a lovely previous Torment quote for you there.
    "The victor rises from the battle. A man who has taken lives for a cause he does not truly understand. Who must return to those who may no longer remain. To live with such burdens; does this truly feel victorious" - Benjamin Caleb Ian Blackwell.

  3. #493
    Shrike's Avatar
    Shrike is offline Junior Twelever Copper Shrike is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35

    Default

    yes, given that the z340 has never been solved, its pretty possible that GG invented his own cipher borrowing the Z340's symbols. speaking of which, how many individual symbols does TMA have?
    {Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man}

  4. #494
    mudkip is offline Needs to say Hello! mudkip is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Hi people still trying to solve this

    I played torment back in early 2011 together with a friend but we came to a dead end after the block puzzle.
    After some searching i found this topic some time ago and saw "the show" was over so i left it there.
    Now i came back today and heard show was back on so i wanted to give it a try and went back to the game.
    When i got to the page i found "themostabstruse.html" i couldn't remember that in the puzzle i tried before.
    Can anyone give me a story what this is and why the original puzzle got removed?
    Also what if the show never ended in the first place but greengecko thought we were getting close to solving it and he tried to hide his masterpiece forever?

  5. #495
    BCIB's Avatar
    BCIB is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze BCIB is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Britain
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudkip View Post
    Hi people still trying to solve this

    I played torment back in early 2011 together with a friend but we came to a dead end after the block puzzle.
    After some searching i found this topic some time ago and saw "the show" was over so i left it there.
    Now i came back today and heard show was back on so i wanted to give it a try and went back to the game.
    When i got to the page i found "themostabstruse.html" i couldn't remember that in the puzzle i tried before.
    Can anyone give me a story what this is and why the original puzzle got removed?
    Also what if the show never ended in the first place but greengecko thought we were getting close to solving it and he tried to hide his masterpiece forever?
    Just go back and basically read through this entire forum topic. That's the story in a nutshell.
    "The victor rises from the battle. A man who has taken lives for a cause he does not truly understand. Who must return to those who may no longer remain. To live with such burdens; does this truly feel victorious" - Benjamin Caleb Ian Blackwell.

  6. #496
    mudkip is offline Needs to say Hello! mudkip is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I went through it not excessive but i know what its about i just don't get why the puzzle changed.

  7. #497
    BCIB's Avatar
    BCIB is offline Junior Twelever +1 Bronze BCIB is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Britain
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudkip View Post
    I went through it not excessive but i know what its about i just don't get why the puzzle changed.
    Nobody knows the exact reason other than Gecko, we're currently going through a second "culling". Once this next puzzle is solved we'll understand where to go from there. I can't really say anymore on it because thats as much as I know.
    "The victor rises from the battle. A man who has taken lives for a cause he does not truly understand. Who must return to those who may no longer remain. To live with such burdens; does this truly feel victorious" - Benjamin Caleb Ian Blackwell.

  8. #498
    mudkip is offline Needs to say Hello! mudkip is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I see but how exactly can we solve this puzzle without a text bar.

  9. #499
    Shrike's Avatar
    Shrike is offline Junior Twelever Copper Shrike is an unknown quantity at this point
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35

    Default

    just because there's no input bar anymore doesn't mean the puzzle is any different. As long as it's there, we'll continue to try and solve it, in the hopes that when we do, something will change. If not, we can just take a break XP
    {Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man}

  10. #500
    Pent is offline Junior Twelever Bronze Pent is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Hm, seems the main page has gotten even darker. Initially I thought BCIB was right about the day/night cycle, although now I'm wondering if it isn't something else. Maybe Cakehead is right and it is a countdown? Maybe GG signaling we're getting further from the correct answer (or perhaps closer?)

    As for the layout of the cipher, I still have no clue. Given all the stuff about stars going on, I wonder if the cipher is scrambled like it is, so that it looks like stars in the sky?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts