+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Dragonfly clues on Page 44

rdshackleford is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Emerald
    rdshackleford is on a distinguished road

Default Dragonfly clues on Page 44

Now that the Dragonfly token has been found, I can reply to all the people who have asked and have PM'd me about the clues. I can't take credit for decoding this. But it may help with the remaining puzzles in some way. Here is are the leaf veins highlighted. So as not to be harrassed by the copyright police, I had to remove the original scan from page 44. You can use the green borders to match them up with your book. The magenta hash marks should line up with the leaf veins.

To decode them, make a 5x5 grid using A-Z minus Q. The veins on the left side of the leaf (left is with leaf point up) are the rows, and the veins on the right side of the leaf are the columns. Translate each leaf into a letter from top to bottom (use the leaf tip to determine the order). This spells out the message "RICKETTSGLENFALLSTRAILSIGN". There are 3 extra leave on the lower right that spell "MOS". I have not heard any great ideas about the meaning of those letters. Apparently it was not required to find the token.

-Rusty

It's not a place, it's a yearning. It's not a race, it's a journey.

AnthonyHolic is offline Junior Twelever Copper AnthonyHolic is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I would have never thought of that, lol. I have been working on the book for awhile now, and I guess I've been focusing more on the text than the pics. Thanks for sharing that! But, how did he know which tree to look at in that area??
    Anth

weepixel is offline Junior Twelever +1 TwelevePlus
    Bronze
    weepixel is an unknown quantity at this point

Rusty -

Thanks for posting this - I started to work it out, but I didn't have the right "order". This is all fascinating. My biggest question is, why the ABCDE grid? What clue gave that away? Anyway, very cool, next time I'm rooting for you!

-pix
    I am a wee pixel, and I approved this message.

Emerald

I was not the one to figure out the grid. I don't know who originally did that. Maybe someone will step up and confess now. If I were them, I would be royally PO'd that it led to someone else finding the token so soon.

-Rusty

Fenix is offline Twelever TwelevePlus
    Silver
    Fenix is an unknown quantity at this point

nice pic....I actually came up with RICKETTS GLENN PS FALLS TRAIL SIGN with the lower right letters working out to MOX.....I also believe the 6 veined leaves may be used to pinpoint the location even more in MS's official solution

TimInOhio is offline Junior Twelever Copper TimInOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

MOS? What is Michael Stadther's middle name, I wonder?

perchprism is offline Good Twelever Gold perchprism is on a distinguished road

Fenix, I'm getting MOS, rather than MOX. I wonder is it MS' initials, since that's where most paintings are signed.

Perchprism

Emerald

I think his middle init is a J. Anyway, here are my map clues. I included the vine and the "X" in the page 20 dropcap. I am not 100% sure that was a correct thing to do. But, it fit the map and it was that same orange-haired pickensrooter.

The problem is, if you get to one of these maps at the park, you have already gone too far and passed the token. Apparently, you were supposed to use one of those pocket maps they give you at the park. Then you don't even have to rotate the vine.

-Rusty

packimocity is offline Good Twelever TwelevePlus
    Aquamarine
    packimocity will become famous soon enough

Rusty:

This is the first time I've heard of adding p20 to the dragonfly thread...

Because the pick is on p20? He is all over the book, p63, p45
    (and I always thought that pickensrooters LIED!)

I think if you follow the vine map on p25, you'll find the access road into the d-fly token is more accurate than your p20 vinemap. The tricky part was, NOT attaching it to the Large Trailhead boards that frequent the park, instead, the small trailmaps found folded at them (or the visitors' center)
    pack

P.S. You were close, but like a lot of us, came home empty-handed.

Emerald

Like I said, the page 20 vine was my idea and I'm not sure about it.

But, the image above does have the page 25 vine on it matched up to the main road. I guess I should not have put text at the bottom of the big image. I guess you didn't see my comments about the pocket map. Yes, I agree.

I did not come up empty handed. I had a great day. A wonderful hike to see the falls. Fresh air and all that. And on the way home, I stopped at Stewarts Root Beer Drive-In and got a root beer and some great homemade halupki.

I am dissapointed now that the token was hidden where it was. There were so many better places along the trail to hide a token. And I don't like the fact that "FALLSTRAILSIGN" referred to one of the small road markers and not the big painted trail signs. Did MS even walk the trail?? it's beautiful along those trails!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast