+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Weird Creature Names

Marti is offline Needs to say Hello! Marti is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Weird Creature Names

tam-o 'jacks
    grubinmoles
    cawcat
    Some pretty crazy anagrams come out of these. They are also listed again in the Epilogue...which REALLY seems an unnecessary addition to the tale. It doesn't tell us anything new, so maybe it is just there for clues.
    (mumbling to self) Maintain a sense of humor about all this, it's SUPPOSED to be FUN! Grrr.

skoldpadda is offline Twelever Silver skoldpadda is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, it does stand out... same for including all the aliases for the fairies in ye nomenclature. Why include it if it's not important?
    Over 1,000 miles travelled in search of 1 token.

Tokens found: zero. (no, I don't expect I'll have to edit this)

Currently working on: Firefly, beetle.

debz is offline Good Twelever Gold debz is an unknown quantity at this point

Marti mentions these:

tam-o 'jacks
    grubinmoles
    cawcat

They are NOT seen in the story.
    Perhaps these names could work in a code?

lecia1212 is offline Twelever Silver lecia1212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default wierd names

I'm probably crazy, but here goes:

Could lurking tam-o jacks = car jacker

tool stealing grubinmoles = looters

fend off a prowling cawcat = cat burgler

Also, "Their tenacity" spells out thirteen a city.

Awe cheese, help me.

debz is offline Good Twelever Gold debz is an unknown quantity at this point

Default tam-o'jacks, grubinmoles and cawcat

The question I have about the lurking tam-o'jacks, tool stealing grubinmoles and prowling cawcat if Why would doths (Pook) bark bravely to warn their masters (Zac).
    Doths needed to fly rapidly for the tam-o'jacks and grubinmoles. So maybe these two types are flying creatures.
    Doths needed tenacity and strong jaws to fend off the cawcat.

Long shot here: Maybe these are combination animals. Like Doth, 1/2 something and 1/2 something. Or maybe they are related to the Darklings.

I think the bolded adjectives may be important. Who/what lurks, steals tools and prowls???

Pg 102 tells us that the Darklings never left the grotto again, but Pook always protected Zac and Ana from tam o'jacks, grubinmoles and cawcats.

LIW
    LIW is offline Junior Twelever Copper LIW is an unknown quantity at this point

grubinmole....hmmmm...

Came across this definition for grub worms at
    http://davesgarden.com/terms/go/416/

These grayish-white c-shaped worms become Japanese beetles later in life. They are a lawn pest and ironically are also a favorite snack for moles (if you have a mole problem, look for grub worms in your lawn - get rid of one, you might get rid of the other.)

Just a thought, since pretty much anything is fair game and you never know where inspiration might come from.

L

destructo is offline Banned Aquamarine destructo is an unknown quantity at this point

I really like this thread because I have NO IDEA what is going on with these made up names. I really think it's worth investgating them as they are practically the only things that aren't borrowed from the "common" literature about fairies and folk lore and such.

Why create these names but not describe them more.... why not have them appear in the text except in the narration....

So, in honor of Cat's brain stormming sessions, let's start one here.

spectrechaser is offline Junior Twelever Bronze spectrechaser is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a little info: Although there are no animals called cawcats, Cawcat is a known last name. Obediah Cawcat for one. He did have some involvement with some Biotech group I think. Anyway, Maybe MS is using a play on words for people who were not Environmentally friendly.

Just another random thought.
    " The environment is where we all meet; where we all have mutual interest; it is the one thing that all of us share. It is not only a mirror of ourselves, but a focusing lens on what we become...--- NLASDNYA HBOIJBI

NY_Hunters is offline Junior Twelever Bronze NY_Hunters is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: tam-o'jacks, grubinmoles and cawcat

Quote Originally Posted by debz
    Doths needed to fly rapidly for the tam-o'jacks and grubinmoles. So maybe these two types are flying creatures.
    Doths needed tenacity and strong jaws to fend off the cawcat.
    Can Pook fly? We know that doths are supposed to be able to, but later, when Zac tosses Pook up the ridge, he "prepares for a two-or-three-bounce landing." He flaps his wings, but can't keep himself airborne, unlike the Pickensrooter that Ana tosses out of the window on page 40. At the end of the story, Pook goes flying through the window "as if catapulted"-- probably by help from Yorah. Flapping of wings is heard, but we don't see Pook fly.

It seems like this ties into the whole "disability" theme that other people have pointed out. Not sure how or if it ties into the hunt... just trying to dig as deep as I can into the text since ciphers are over my head.

spiderman is offline Kidnapped... and all I got was this stupid user title. TwelevePlus
    Benitoite
    spiderman will become famous soon enough

I've been trying to find places where you could use the fence cipher. And since we have the picture of a fence beside a tree, I'm thinking we should use three phrases or objects to deciper. These three creatures would work only I can't make anything from trying this cipher. Can somebody else try and let me know if they get something significant? (There are also three tools listed that Zac used often, and three tools listed that he doesn't use much... just a thought.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast