+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Text on page 17, a reorganization idea...

acn
    acn is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper acn is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Text on page 17, a reorganization idea...

I was reading this middle paragraph on this page and I realized that in each passage there is a expression of relative value (first, last, one that is more than another). I thought perhaps this paragraph was meant to be rearranged and it kind of makes a bit more sense in this order!

Original Order
    ----------------
    Once they reached the grove, Zac hoped to find the silver birch limb – the final piece he needed to finish the jewelry box. He had worked on the box for almost a year, and it would be the most beautiful one that he had ever made – more beautiful than any of the boxed or wooden toys and puzzles that he sold in the village. Zac would complete the box tonight, so that he could give it to Ana tomorrow – their first wedding anniversary.

Reordered
    ------------
    Zac would complete the box tonight, so that he could give it to Ana tomorrow – their first wedding anniversary. He had worked on the box for almost a year, and it would be the most beautiful one that he had ever made – more beautiful than any of the boxed or wooden toys and puzzles that he sold in the village. Once they reached the grove, Zac hoped to find the silver birch limb – the final piece he needed to finish the jewelry box.

I don't know call me crazy I like the reorganized version better. The original version seems very disjointed.

debz is offline Good Twelever Gold debz is an unknown quantity at this point

I do think it is important to consider order. This would be an easy way to confuse puzzlers through the text. HOWEVER, be careful. Some clues may rely on exact wording, punctuation and order of text.

Good new idea acn!

dd
    dd is offline Needs to say Hello! dd is an unknown quantity at this point

This particular paragraph stands out to me in another way:

1. It is the only paragraph in Chapter 1 that does not mention Pook by name.

2. It contains every letter of the alphabet, except "q" (which doesn't seem to appear in the entire book.... though I haven't yet dropped to the level of checking every letter in the book :P )

I also wonder if the words can be split up in a different way (to give the paragraph a different meaning, perhaps)?

ladyfeline is offline Junior Twelever +1 Silver ladyfeline is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't the traditional first anniversary gift paper? A modern first anniversary gift a clock or a watch? Is there any significance of Zac giving what a 5th year anniversary gift would be-wood? Is there an anniversary year for metal, Ana's gift to Zac? Does this even mean anything at all?

+ Reply to Thread