+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Corraling the HBC

chemed is offline Needs to say Hello! chemed is on a distinguished road

Default Corraling the HBC

I would like to share something I've noticed about the HCB symbols. It's not a big deal, but maybe it will give others new ideas.
    1. First of all, give a circle that's empty a value of 0. A black filled in circle a value of 1. A cresent moon a value of 2 no matter whether it's black or white. A rectangle a value of 4 no matter whether it's black or white. Any straight line has a value of one.
    2. Any line, moon, crescent moon, or rectangle symbols that occur in order are added together. For example, 2 rectangles in order equal 8. Two identical crescent moons, regardless of color, equal 4.
    3. The last rule is that a large black moon followed by a large white sun is equal to 10. And 2 black moons equal 11.
    4. The result is that each line is a series of numbers from 0 to 12. I can't find anything greater than 12. ( so far)
    5.Here is a line example from the last line of code on page 17 of the code book.

Two lines and two circles equals 4.
    Two lines equals 2.
    One small circle equals 1
    One large black circle is 1.
    One small circle is 1.
    Two rectangles equals 8
    Three small circles is 3.
    A large black circle followed by a white is 10.
    A rectangle is 4.
    Two circles equal 2.
    Four cresent moons in a row equal 8.
    One rectangle is 4.
    One rectangle and 2 circles is 6.
    One black circle is 1.

Also look at the 2nd line from the bottom on the right hand side. The 3rd group in is 3 rectangles in a row which would be 12.

I have not found any series of symbols greater than 12, but I haven't covered every line. Good luck.

Beeblebrox is offline Junior Twelever Copper Beeblebrox is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by chemed View Post
    I would like to share something I've noticed about the HCB symbols. It's not a big deal, but maybe it will give others new ideas.
    1. First of all, give a circle that's empty a value of 0. A black filled in circle a value of 1. A cresent moon a value of 2 no matter whether it's black or white. A rectangle a value of 4 no matter whether it's black or white. Any straight line has a value of one.
    2. Any line, moon, crescent moon, or rectangle symbols that occur in order are added together. For example, 2 rectangles in order equal 8. Two identical crescent moons, regardless of color, equal 4.
    3. The last rule is that a large black moon followed by a large white sun is equal to 10. And 2 black moons equal 11.
    4. The result is that each line is a series of numbers from 0 to 12. I can't find anything greater than 12. ( so far)
    5.Here is a line example from the last line of code on page 17 of the code book.

Two lines and two circles equals 4.
    Two lines equals 2.
    One small circle equals 1
    One large black circle is 1.
    One small circle is 1.
    Two rectangles equals 8
    Three small circles is 3.
    A large black circle followed by a white is 10.
    A rectangle is 4.
    Two circles equal 2.
    Four cresent moons in a row equal 8.
    One rectangle is 4.
    One rectangle and 2 circles is 6.
    One black circle is 1.

Also look at the 2nd line from the bottom on the right hand side. The 3rd group in is 3 rectangles in a row which would be 12.

I have not found any series of symbols greater than 12, but I haven't covered every line. Good luck.
    Based on your example using the last line of BoS pg. 17, I guess I'm not clear on your
    point #1 above. I thought unfilled circles were zero? If so, the first symbol consisting
    of a plus sign with one filled circle and one open circle would be 3 not 4. And the
    triangle of three small unfilled circles would be zero. Did you mean to add a rule that
    all small circles are 1, whether filled in or not? --Beeblebrox

pianoman is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Peridot
    pianoman will become famous soon enough

Thanks for sharing this idea! It would be nice to finally have a consistency in that cursed hcb.

Pianoman

chemed is offline Needs to say Hello! chemed is on a distinguished road

Default Small circles

Yes, small circles are 1 whether they are black or white. Only the larger circles, which most people call suns, are valued at 0.

+ Reply to Thread