+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Background image

adpower is offline Junior Twelever Copper adpower is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Background image

I did a little research on the background image on this page. I havent yet been able to identify the text portion of it, but the image itself can be seen fully at http://www.indiana.edu/~liblilly/ete...25_00001.shtml. It represents the twelve winds. Some additional information I found for a similar drawing says:

Surrounding the map image itself are personifications of twelve winds. It was a common medieval and early modern device to equate compass directions with the winds that blew from them. We might see them as decorative curiosities, but to the maritime world of the Renaissance Europe, these were important geographical features. Note that each is given a specific name, a personality that reflected the character of the prevailing winds from that direction. Zephyrus, the west wind, for example, was a good wind, a bringer of fresh Spring air and life. Boreas, a north wind, was frequently depicted as an old and sinister fellow, who brought death with his cold breath.

Further discussion of the names can be found at http://www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/ha...ap/cmprose.htm and can be seen on a similar map at http://www.usm.maine.edu/maps/exhibit8/05.jpeg.

An explanation that I found of the system says:

There are four principal winds: the first is the eastern wind, called Subsolanus because it blows from the place where the sun rises and is very temperate. The second principal wind is southern and is called Auster; it stirs up clouds and flashes of lightning and blows various kinds of pestilence throughout the earth. The third principal wind is called Zephyrus in the Greek language and Favonius in Latin; it blows from the west and through its blowing all earthly plants revive and bloom, and that wind dissipates and thaws every winter. The fourth principal wind is called Septemtrio; it blows from the north, cold and snowy, and it makes dry clouds.

I don't know if this helps anyone or not, but it does seem to tie in with the whole compass/directionality/hest theories. However, it adds a twist if you start having to divide the compass into twelve parts rather than the standard 4, 8, or 16.

I think I'll also post this information with Doc's discussion of the compass and hest theories.

yooperkiwi is offline Junior Twelever Copper yooperkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Great find! Dividing the circle up into 30 degree sections would work out really well using 24 of the letters of the alphabet in a cipher disk. There are far too many possibilities right now.

lafitte is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Peridot
    lafitte is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the links, gives meaning to the song "Blowin' In The Wind". By the way I do know what it means...nice Avatar... Lafitte

dferrugg is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper dferrugg is an unknown quantity at this point

Default here is the actual pic that MS used

Not sure of the relevance, but I found the exact map that MS used for the background of this page. Also, it seems as though he is using rare old maps and placing additional symbols on top of them.
    Attached Images

shecrab is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Emerald
    shecrab will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by dferrugg View Post
    Not sure of the relevance, but I found the exact map that MS used for the background of this page. Also, it seems as though he is using rare old maps and placing additional symbols on top of them.
    All the maps he uses are on www.raremaps.com. Most are under the category "Celestial". That website was credited in the back of the book.

Visit my web site: http://christinkeck.webs.com
    CK or as they say in Spain, "Yes, What?"

dferrugg is offline Getting the hang of it. Copper dferrugg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by shecrab View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dferrugg View Post
    All the maps he uses are on www.raremaps.com. Most are under the category "Celestial". That website was credited in the back of the book.

That's where I got it from. It doesn't seem as though he chose those maps b/c of any significance; but rather just b/c they looked good.

shecrab is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Emerald
    shecrab will become famous soon enough

I think there is some significance to the fact that most of them are or have something to do with space, the universe, planets, eclipses, etc. I mean, he might have chosen maps of Germany, or the ancient world, or whatever, but he did select maps of the solar system and the sky more often than not.

But do the maps themselves have meaning other than contributing to the book's theme? I never have thought so. Rather, they simply contribute to the overall 'space' theme.
    Visit my web site: http://christinkeck.webs.com
    CK or as they say in Spain, "Yes, What?"

knocka is offline Expert Twelever TwelevePlus
    Emerald
    knocka will become famous soon enough

There may be significance in the fact that some are mirror images. Perhaps reflection is needed for those particular pages. (For example BoS page 16)

+ Reply to Thread